U.S. cities (not metropolitan areas) that span multiple counties

List of U.S. cities in multiple counties

Are there any American cities other htan New York City that completely encompass more than one county?

Thanks folks. I had no idea it was so common.

I thought Wikipedia might have a page like that. I wonder why I couldn’t find it.

Takoma Park, MD was, until recently, in both Montgomery and Prince George’s county. Some of its historic land is still in the District of Columbia, and is locally referred to as Takoma, DC (There is also a Chevy Chase, DC and probably a Glen Echo, DC corresponding to their Maryland towns outside the DC line). Within the last 15 years, Maryland moved the Montgomery/Prince George’s line so all of the Maryland parts of Takoma are now in Montgomery county–to the chagrin of the former Takoma mayor who used his paltry-paying Mayor position to get a seat on the PG County board.

Burtonsvlle, MD was similarly in both counties until a restaurant owner petitioned to have the county line moved–to stay wholly in Prince George’s county, which taxes liquor at a lower rate.

I used to live in Takoma and DC and my girlfriend at the time lived in Burtonsville.

Also worthy of mention: Samish Island, WA, which used to be an actual island and part of Island County and the San Juan Islands. Some Dutch expats with a lot of money and time built a dike which connected it to Skagit County, and it is now considered a peninsula of that county.

I think you’re thinking of Chestnut Hill, the non-Boston parts of which are in Middlesex County. Brookline is indeed in Norfolk County, and is an island mostly within Suffolk County, but it’s not part of Boston. In fact, when I look at a map, it looks to me like the entirety of Boston is within Suffolk County.

Damn you, I was going to mention that! :stuck_out_tongue:

I spent a year there right after college at my first “big boy” job. Let me tell you, that town can easily compete with the likes of northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota when it comes to cold and snowy winters.

It has a perfect combination of being high elevation, yet in a valley, and surrounded by lakes.

I was going to mention Texarkana even though it does have two mayors and city councils. Due to being in two states rather than just two counties.

It’s interesting driving down State Line Ave and seeing all the licquor stores on the Arkansas side.

Another example like that is Union City, on the border of Indiana and Ohio, and with the two halves incorporated in the two states. (Ironically, because of its population, Union City OH is a village, not a city. However, Union City IN is a city.)

St. Cloud, Minnesota is one of the 10 largest cities in the state, and is split among 3 counties. There is a proposal in the Legislature to revise this, to put the whole city into one county, and possibly merge the remainder of the existing counties. The joke was that this would be named Lake Woebegone county (though the proposal did not specify any actual name for the new county).

Wiki is not the “end all”. Its list of Illinois does not include Collinsville (St Clair and Madison counties) or Centralia (Clinton and Marion counties).

Fun topic!

That’s probably why it has emphasized at the top of that page

And it has been edited 5 times since this topic appeared on the SDMB!

Michigan has a number of smaller cities that do this. Northville straddles the border between Wayne and Oakland counties, and Memphis sits on the Macomb/St. Claire county line. Grosse Pointe Shores is mostly in Wayne county, but a little bit crosses over into Macomb county.

Burtonsville is in Montgomery County.

Thanks for the link - cool list.

Wow, Dallas, Texas is big - it covers all or part of five counties (Dallas, Collin, Denton, Kaufman and Rockwall). While tidy, compact Vermont apparently has no towns or cities that cross county lines.

Roane County, TN includes pieces of two separate cities (Oak Ridge and Oliver Springs) plus all of three others (Kingston, Rockwood, and Harriman). Oak Ridge is shared between Roane and Anderson counties, and Oliver Springs has pieces in three different counties: Roane, Anderson, and Morgan. Not bad for a town of only ~3500 people!

Corbin, KY is in Whitley and Knox Counties.

Don’t forget the northern suburbs. Huber Heights is mostly in Montgomery County, but a piece of it is in Miami County.

So per the Wikipedia list:

53 cities that span 3 counties.
7 cities that span 4 counties
3 cities that span 5 counties (Oklahoma City, Dallas, New York City)

5 of those 63 cities and towns have populations under 1,000 (per Wikipedia pop. numbers)

785 - Mustang Ridge, TX (3 counties)
756 - Cresson, TX (3 counties)
703 - Baltic, OH (3 counties)
548 - Sherman, MS (3 counties)
287 - Milledgeville, TN (3 counties)

Braselton, GA is the smallest four county town with 1,206 people.

Northfield, Minnesota, is in both Rice and Goodhue counties. Also not on the Wikipedia list.