Ugh! What are these things on my tree? Do I need to worry?

(Not the ladybugs or flowerbuds, but the other things, of course.)

They look despicable, but on the other hand they don’t seem actually to be doing anything. If they were some kind of larval form I would expect them to be actively chewing up the leaves, but they’re not; they’re just sitting there, apparently avoiding the sunlight. There’s another leaf just above this which I had to lift out of the way in order to shoot the photo.

Generally, there are a lot of ladybugs on the undersides of leaves, or on top of sheltered leaves, but there are more of these larvae or whatever they are.

Do I need to take steps?

I’m in Oregon if it matters, and I’m told the tree is a sedum, but I’m not sure that’s correct.

Link

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Earwigs I think. Relatively harmless to trees, but my chew on some of the budding leaves. I am not a bug expert.

Yes, earwigs. Nasty things. You should see what they will do to a clump of basil.

Fill a spray bottle, then add only enough vinegar until you can just smell it in the mixture. Spray your plants regularly, including the undersides.

Unless you’re seeing a lot of damage (and it doesn’t look like it in those photos), I’d just leave them alone.

Earwigs do eat plant matter; they also eat insects which eat even more plant matter. They may be doing you more good than harm.

https://www.westernsare.org/Learning-Center/From-the-Field/Pest-or-Beneficial-Earwigs-Are-Put-to-the-Test
And you certainly don’t want to risk discouraging or damaging the ladybugs.

unless those are “phony” ladybugs (Asian Lady Beetles.) those things are pieces of shit.

Earwigs. Yuck. They like to come into your house and eat your books.

Make sure they stay in the trees and not around your house. There are safe-for-pets sprays you can get to spray your eaves and doorways to keep the earwigs under control.

if they get in your house, they will eat your brain.
But other than that, nothing to worry about. You might want to keep your door closed.

No they’re not. They’re a mixed blessing; but they eat Colorado potato beetle larvae, which the native ladybugs don’t. And they do also eat the pests the native ones do; though they don’t stay active as long into the cold weather, so aren’t as useful about aphids on brussels sprouts.