UHC. You want public option? Get into prison

It looks like the doctors in America want the public option which is only available to congressmen and the prison inmates that they can’t shirk responsibility for.
From CNN

5 minutes per patient for an American doctor to survive with private health care ?

What’s the problem with public option ?

I saw that story, too. Naturally I thought of our very own Qadgop the Mercotan, Prison Doctor Extraordinaire.

This is what the public option boils down to:

If more people can go to the doctor, then more people *will *go to the doctor. And if more people go to the doctor, then the people who already go to the doctor now will be troubled by the fact that people who used not be able to go to the doctor, are now going to the doctor and making them late for their foursome at the club later that afternoon.

And really, what the fuck is that all about? The Underhills have places to be, ferchrissakes.

How many people who can go to the doctor now, go to the doctor? I have insurance, but I’ve been to the doctor once in the last three years.

There’s really only one thing to say to that:

SHUT UP!!!

Prison Prescription: Take one pill after meals and no shivving for at least seven days.

My wife just canceled my medical insurance (for real) and yes, she can do that. I can sign up for Medicare in Jan 2010 but it won’t go into effect until July 2010. I guess I’ll have to go to prison to get any medical care. I wonder what crime I might commit?

Want me to suggest some?

Ahem.

You agree not to post material that in our opinion fosters or promotes activity that is illegal in the U.S.

:stuck_out_tongue:

That should change as you get older. I used to see a doctor at your frequency, but lately I’ve had to get help getting my blood pressure and cholesterol under control without drugs, and getting my occular pressure monitored before it is too late. I’ve just had sleep apnea ruled out, and seeing an ENT to solve my hearing problem. I just developed a tailor’s bunion which will occupy my next visit. Fortunately my naproxin prescription which I got from the doctor a month ago is handling my pain issues.

No regret for all those years that I paid into the system while hardly using it.

Oh, and I just quit smoking thanx to a Champix prescription I got last month.

No doubt. What I was trying to say was that I don’t believe people will say, ‘It’s FREE! I have to take it because it’s FREE!’; which is the implication of the responded-to post. Most people have insurance coverage, and most people have better things to do than go to the doctor unless they really need to.

Absolutely. If the government were providing, say, free chocolate, or sex, then it would be a race to see whether the Universal Chocolate and Sex Insurance Plan would go bankrupt before civilization collapsed in a chocolate-fueled orgy. But free (that is, pre-paid with your tax dollars) visits to the doctor? Generalizing wildly, as IIRC Dave Barry originally observed, half the population–that is guys–won’t go to the doctor unless we have arterial bleeding or a bone actually sticking out of our skin. (Of course, there are guys for whom this is not true, but on the other hand there are women for whom it is true.) Apart from a small minority of hypochondriacs, going to the doctor isn’t any fun, and people aren’t likely to do so unless they actually really need to. As a society, we want people to carry out all that inconvenient and occasionally undignified routine medical care before they stagger into the emergency room after having coughed up half a lung; not only are there humanitarian concerns but in the long run it will likely be less expensive, too.

I agree. The argument that people will just go to doctors a lot is absurd. There may be a run for a while because so many have been suffering without coverage. But once they get caught up they will avoid doctors like the rest of us. Who looks forward to doctor appointments?

I agree. The argument that people will just go to doctors a lot is absurd. There may be a run for a while because so many have been suffering without coverage. But once they get caught up they will avoid doctors like the rest of us. Who looks forward to doctor appointments?

For whatever it’s worth, there are several things I have that I’d like to see a doctor about, but don’t because I can’t afford it with my current insurance.

Gotcha. I just wanted to make the point that young healthy people should not avoid paying into the health insurance system as that just raises the cost for everone else at the time and ultimately the high cost will hit them in later life.

Just let me check in and out so you can be my family physician----its all taxpayer dollars anyway.

Isn’t that the a basic problem with our healthy care system. There is no reason for a young healthy person to give into private insurance companies. Their doing so lowers costs for everyone else. It’s a private company just because you were more profitable early in life doesn’t mean they have any loyalty to keep your costs down later in life. In Fact it makes sense for them to drop you later in life and find some new young sucker to take money from.

If the motivation of the insurance system is to make a profit, younger healthy people have every reason to stay out of it. If they offered lifetime contracts that guaranteed health care later in life for paying in while you were young that at least be a step in a stomachache direction.

Yeah it would be wrong for Qadgop the Mercotan to suggest anyone commit criminal acts.
Qadgop what are some examples of criminal acts committed by your patients, I’m just curious. :wink:

Also, going to the doctor when something minor is wrong with you really doesn’t take that long, and probably saves a lot of headache later.

I live in a country with UHC. Say I think I have an ear infection: I go to the doctor, he swipes my card, looks at my medical record on the screen, looks in my ear, says “yep, you have an ear infection,” prints out a scrip for antibiotics, and sends me on my way. Entire time inside doctor’s office: no more than 5 minutes. If everyone did this for ear infections, you’d have *slightly *busier doctors, and a much healthier, more productive population.