UK-centric rant: I'm jolly annoyed with Radio 4

Perfectly executed, jjimm :smiley:

Allegedly, no, it’s not supposed to be funny… but I do like the way they do … sex

Pretty much a regular ‘soap opera’.

In fact, the Archers is the longest running soap opera in the world. It was originally conceived as a means to give ignorant rural types lots of patronizing information about farming and health (and still has quite a lot of blatant infotainment in it), but mainly it’s a lame-assed, but somehow wonderful, “everyday story of country folk”.

Well I hate to be a voice of dissent, but I love R4’s cricket coverage and frequently spend all of a Sunday with it on in the background.

And I love the snooker on Beeb 2 too. I think that fans of other shows can afford to let us have the 2 weeks of the World Championship and the 2 weeks of the Masters, don’t you? It’s not like snooker is all-pervasive throughout the year - unlike insert teen-show of your choice here, may I say. Let us fans have our scant few weeks to enjoy some live sport, whether you think it’s good or not.

If the situation were the other way round, then I think I’d here some complaining. The snooker gets at least as good ratings as the teeny shows. That shows that it is at least as a good use of license payers money. The Beeb should be catering to all of its license payers.

pan

Damn homophones.

Oh I agree. I just think they shouldn’t be stealing my channel, which is one that’s aimed at an almost entirely non-sporting audience. Give it a channel on its own. As I said: they did. It’s called 5 Live and it’s designed for this sort of thing.

Anyway, I shouldn’t be talking to you, as you’re clearly homophonic.

Ah, but 5-live only has one frequency (well actually it has two, but you ken well what I mean). Radio 4 has two. So one of them is given up for the cricket.

It’s a shame that the one given up is the one that you listen to. But as a non-UK resident, you presumably aren’t paying your licence fee anyway? In which case it’s tough to grumble tooooo much…

I’d say that in general UK residents are more likely to have the FM station available to them than the LW one, in which case fewer people are being inconvenienced by taking over the LW station.

It’s rough justice really. OTOH when I was in France one summer I could just about get R4 LW. I loved the fact that I could listen to Test Match Special - at times it was the only thing that kept me going.

pan

And poor show for the homophone pun. You lose all argument points immediately on that one.

You’re right about my ineligibility to whinge - as I said earlier: “I’m not really eligible to complain about this, since I don’t pay the UK TV license”. And that frustrates me. And that frustration leads to anger. And the anger is burning me up. Not really.

Anyway, I’m listening to Round Britain Quiz on streaming RealAudio now, cricket be damned.

Frustration leads to anger. Anger leads to RealAudio. RealAudio leads to suffering

Word.

Btw, there’s a rather interesting new mag out this week called ‘Word’ - genuine, old-fashoined in-depth reviews and articles. Not always of new releases but also some retro stuff. Kind of for grown ups … I’d suggest a flick-though in between furtive lunges along the top shelf.

Not quite correct . In Europe AM radio ( amplitude modulation transmissions ) are carried both on Long Wave ( 150 - 280 kHZ ) and Mediuim Wave ( 530 - 1550 kHZ ). Some modern AM radios do not have the LW band on them. Long wave is not used much outside of Europe because of static interferance caused by tropical storms. Of course Short Wave is also transmitted using AM. In addition we have the more modern FM ( frequency modulation) broadcasts.

So AM is a coverall-term for LW, MW, and SW? I stand corrected, and have learned.

AM and FM are descriptors of how the signal is carried, whereas the “W” bits are descriptors of the frequency.

How - HOW - can I be the only person to have thought the following worth mentioning?

I know its a long quote, but I hope those anxious about copyrights will allow for it - particularly as I don’t think the author will mind that much.

micilin - still grieving for Douglas Adams.

been down the pub?

Well, oi loik the Arrcherrs… my cellphone ringtone is the Archers theme. It’s just so damned twee (the theme, not the show). But then I also watch the televised snooker, so there’s clearly something wrong with me.

If nothing else, Radio 4 bears listening to for the Donald Rumsfeld Soundbite of the Week every Sunday morning. Now that’s comedy.

…wanders off humming “Sailing By”…

Blighter’s been in the raf so long, he can remember the Air Ministry when it was a tent…
Coldfire, your old valve radio isn’t giving you messages like “Il fait chaud à Suez” or “Les sanglots longs des violons de l’automne,” is it?

micilin I got that quote from the word “materialised”. Brilliant, and yes, he died before his time. :frowning:

Rod Hill, if I tilt the radio the right way and identify myself as Nighthawk, I can get London on the line. They always promise backups, but all I’ve got are these weird English pilots without a plane. Any ideas on how to get them back to merry ol’ England?

[sub]Wondering if Canada ever got this particular series…[/sub] :wink:

Twisty: no.
Coldy: you’re right, he did.
Coldy and Rod: What are you talking about? Please dont say its ‘Allo Allo’ or I will puke - despite not having gone to the pub.