UK Chancellor in very hot water

Guardian article here:

And Theresa May, the Prime Minister, was caught out at Prime Minister’s Questions:

I wonder, has a Chancellor ever resigned on the day of a Budget? Or will Javid be the scapegoat?

Can you translate this reporting:

?

Now obviously “council tax” refers to a local tax of some sort. But does this mean that the Crown* is asking to take more from the local councils, or is threatening to increase their own tax on local authorities?

*or insert whatever term is appropriate in “state’s rights vs. federal gov’t arguments” here.

There’s a Wikipedia article about council tax. It’s what residents pay to the local council.

There is a great deal of concern that local councils are underfunded and this is affecting their ability to provide services.

This (Conservative) local council was considering holding a referendum to canvas support for raising its local tax 15%. This would look very bad for the (Conservative) national government, since it would be blamed for underfunding the council, which would resonate with large numbers of other councils all round the country who all claim to be underfunded.

The suggestion is that the national government effectively “paid off” this one council to bury the issue.

Right. I know that there are council taxes that are relatively analogous to property taxes in the US but was not %100 certain if there was some other meaning. I still don’t know how a chancellor can threaten to raise them 15% since in the US the states and counties control local taxes.

Nope, you have the wrong end of the stick. Ready my post.

No, it’s nothing like that. There is no equivalent of states’ rights - all the authority, and much of the funding, for local councils comes from central government. Councils can only raise money through methods sanctioned by central government, such as the Council Tax and what are called ‘business rates’, which are both types of property tax.

Great username-subject concordance.

Well, he’s delivered his budget and it seems to have been well-received by the Tory MPs, so he may have escaped.

Hugh Dalton had to resign in 1947 after responding to a leading question from a journalist about the likely price of beer after the Budget.

Quartz - you start some very curious threads. I have no idea why this storm in a media cup merits SDMB attention.

Why shouldn’t it? Think of it like Trump talking to Russia. And it seems that far from the Budget being well received, Hammond has put his foot right in it with increasing National Insurance Contributions - essentially a tax - for the self-employed. The self-employed are Tory voters and target voters. The backtracking has been thunderous.

“Trump talking to Russia”.

No president should ever speak or have spoken to foreigners — it destroys the pristine innocence of their childlike minds.

This is basically a USA centric board for political threads. No one cares about our council tax. Hammond who?

Commenting on the worthiness of a thread is a version of threadshitting. If you think a topic isn’t worth your time, ignore it.

A Chancellor recommending a county council (which is of the same Party) not put up taxes by 15% isn’t really controversial. That he (Hammond) said a local vote isn’t a good idea is a bit thick - the results could be very interesting and lead to progressive taxation on property (which many in the UK would agree is a step in the right direction) - but won’t land him anywhere near hot water as those benefiting from high property prices in the UK, especially in the SE, donate plenty to his Party (and him and his family/friends, allegedly).