UK childrens show UK posters please help

I remember a show from when I was little, can you help me name it? The program featured a family of creatures that looked like furry potatoes. I think there were 2 children, and the Granddad played the trumpet. I was watching it between '75-'80. My family says I’m thinking of The Wombles, but I know that isn’t it.

I have little ones of my own now and I’m putting together a collection of the programs I watched when I was little. Bagpuss was my favorite (he was just a saggy old cloth cat, but Emily loved him.) I have The Magic Roundabout, The Clangers, & Ivor the Engine so far. I’m trying to find Roobarb & Custard.

I would also like suggestions of ones I’m missing. Thanks!

Flumps?

Sounds to me like The Flumps.

Bagpuss and the Clangers were two of my favourites as well.

Furry potatoes?

Could it be The Flumps you’re thinking of?

Try this site. It’s a British site with information and audio clips from classic shows. You might find it handy.

Fingerbobs has to be one of the best children’s programmes from that period as well. Conclusive proof of the widespread use of mind-altering substances among children’s TV makers during the 1970s.

‘The Complete Flumps’ is available on VHS (PAL only) or DVD (Region 2 only) from http://www.amazon.co.uk, as are all the other programs you mentioned (except Roobarb & Custard, which is released later this year).

Yay! That has been bothering me for so long. Thanks!

NO! He played the FLUMPET, silly! :slight_smile:

OK this seems like as good a place as any to ask this.

Around 1988, there was a kids’ show in England that had a Muppet-type character who sat behind a news desk and he (this is pretty gross) had snot coming out of his nose and he would whip his head around to the side to say something or look at something and he would sling snot all over the place. My brother says his name was Gary Gnu but I don’t know.

Can anyone help me at all with this??

There was a puppet character called Gilbert that’s ringing a bell, but I can’t find any information on the show.

Evilbeth - your not thinking of Tizwaz are you ? Featured hand puppet cat (Cough the Cat) and dog (Spit the Dog) - as you can probably imagine from the names their chief party tricks. Large quantities of plegm were involved with both of them…

Spit the Dog didn’t actually spit, though: Bob Carolgees just made a sort of spitting sound.

I think the character you’re thinking of was called Gilbert the Alien. He was on Get Fresh, the execrable Saturday morning children’s offering from the ITV network of the mid- to late-1980s. As I recall, he did produce some kind of artificial “snot”, which was almost as offensive as his sidekick, Gaz Top, who still turns up occasionally on piss-poor cable TV programmes under his real name of Gareth Somethingorother.

TomH–you may be right! That sounds familiar! Thank you!