UK doper help please: how to verify someone is UK citizen?

192 check

You could sign up to this. You can check the occupants of the Rainham address. It will pull up Electoral Register info. Place sold for £130k in 2003 apparently.

EDIT - I see already suggested. What you find?

The guy is claiming to be a dual UK and US citizen although originally from the UK. As a US citizen or even permanent resident, he is most certainly on the hook to at least file an income tax form. It may be that he doesn’t owe any tax but he does have to file to get the foreign earned income credit. So, a copy of the 1040 is definately something that could be requested (but he conveniently claims he doesn’t have to pay US tax because of that dual citizen thing)

No idea if sis in law has given him money. I wouldn’t be surprised but it’s not something she would ever admit. She bought him and his daughter a plane ticket to Maui before Xmas, but he cancelled at the last minute because of an “emergency” on an oil rig that needed 2 weeks to sort out. Evidently, he’s still sorting it out 10 weeks later. So she’s got a credit on the airline for the cost of those tickets. I know the ticket story for a fact.

The company’s name is “Robsco” and he claims it is in Hatfield. It’s not his company nor is he a full time employee - he is just a consultant/contractor. He’s working on UK rigs.

He has supposed to have a face to face meetings with sis in law. Maybe scheduled 3-4 times including the one in Maui with his daughter, but it’s never happened. They speak frequently but never a video call. I think he’s supposed to visit this weekend but might be “working” again.

As to why it’s my business. Sis in law is a long term guest, and this is causing family stress. She’s also got a horrible track record in ex husbands and boyfriends including physically abusive ones (which I know for a fact). Not really my business but I’d prefer not to see her emotionally crushed by some guy playing internet games, fleeced nor physically assulted. So, it does impact me and my family indirectly. I’m just selfishly trying to help her avoid the trainwreck that’s almost certainly coming down the track so my wife doesn’t have to deal with the wreck.

We would all be estatic if she actually found a good guy to settle down with (preferrably in Florida or the UK). I like my sis in law, and I like her even more when it’s quality rather than quantity time.

Copies of his UK, US passport would be nice absent the actual visit.

As Quarz intimates, it has been perfectly reasonable for contractors in the UK to set up a company - effectively they are themselves the company - as this avoids the high rate of taxation. He would then have that company be paid the agreed salary by his employer.

He might also, not unreasonably, register that company to his home address or maybe his accountants business address and call it, typically, after himself i.e. Robs Company (or an abbreviation), which fits assuming his name is Rob or Robert.

I think I have a small breakthrough.

A google of ‘Robsco’ Ltd’ pulls up a number of Google hits for a Robsco Engineering Ltd based in Hatfield. When you click through any of these links (which are mostly company checking kinda sites), the address details have changed to an address in Rainham as at 20 January 2012.

BUT most significantly, one of these sites lists the Company Director: A Mr R. Okolo, nationality… Nigerian.

More here.

This throws up a ton of flags even before San Vito’s information. Number one is that she paid for airline tickets for him and his daughter. The guy works on rigs but can’t afford a plane ticket? Let me guess, there was some problem with his bank account eh?

To my cynical mind it’s got scam written all over it.

Working on rigs isn’t quite the goldmine it was at one time, but yeah, you are right. This guy is a bullshit artist.

Oil rig shifts in the North Sea are often 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. These are known well in advance and there’s legislation covering the amount of time someone can work. Mr Okolo will have been scheduled well in advance.

Big red flag here.

I very much doubt this will happen.

This is almost certainly a scam.

Also worth considering that the scam artist is the source of “your family just doesn’t want you to be happy.” These people make a living preying on vulnerable women, and they’re good at it. Good luck to her and to you.

Well with all the broken appts it smells like a huge scam. There is one interesting part ot this and that is that he is an oil rig worker. If that’s so he should be making *extremely *good money and have no need at all for financial help. He should paying for any “come see me” tickets, not her. That’s he’s not is a big red flag.

You have my sympathy, your SIL sounds like a complete tard.

Looks like one more piece of an ugly looking puzzle.

Thanks SanVito and everyone else for the information. If there is a ever a resolution, I’ll post and update to this soap opera.

::crashing strings:: Bam bam baaaaaaaam!

Well then. China Guy I sometimes think you’re a bit overly cynical based perhaps on your years living in an oppressive society, but today I congratulate you on that cynicism! :slight_smile:

A quick google of “Nigerian oil rig dating scam” reveals countless versions of the same story- a motherless child being raised away from home, an oil rig in Scotland, etc.

ScamWarners has quite a bit of relevant info- you may even be able to find the exact name he is using. I wouldn’t be surprised if he used this letter.

Good luck!

Sis in law had some sort of a revelation yesterday and realizes this was a scam. Thanks for the help as I’m sure some of the exposures highlighted on this board helped. I forwarded many of the links. My wife said sis in law asked the “guy” point blank and he confessed to not being real. to my wife, who shared with her sister.

I’m guessing too many things didn’t add up and another “visit” cancellation occured and/or more likely a request for money to finance the visit happened yesterday as well finally triggered the bullshit meter.

Although with me sis in law is pretending the whole thing never happened. I’ll share the scoop if I ever get it.

Watch out for the “Nigerian FBI” coming along to “assist” your sister in tracking this ruffian down, before encoutering various problems she can sort out with a western union transfer

Sorry, I’m confused: which sister was speaking to the fictional character?

[ETA] Oh, wait. Did that second sentence get pasted into the middle of the first sentence by mistake?

Guess who called my house this morning at 4:30 am? I’m not sure but the caller ID showed the number as from Pankshin Nigeria. Perp didn’t leave a message but woke my wife and I up.

So, I’d say that’s a 100% confirmation of a Nigerian scam.

Jesus fucking christ is my sis in law an idiot, even giving her some slack for being “in love” and 2 years post chemo. So, there are all sorts of personal details like children names and schools and other stuff dropped during the past 5 or 6 months of almost daily chatting. I’m really livid.

Now I hope no one is going to chime in with reputable cites of Nigerian scams in the US followed up by a visit by the scammer. If there is, please let me know. I didn’t see any from a quick search.

If it’s not too much to ask, why is your sister in law looking for love? Did something befall your brother?

Sister in law could mean sister of spouse. Post #33 seems to suggest this is the case.

Off topic now I suppose, but I know quite a few rig workers out in the North Sea. Unless they’re doing some incredibly dangerous job like underwater engineering or have a lot of responsibility on the rig, then they’re likely not on extremely good money. Starting wages are around £18,000 for a roughneck, which is pretty far under the UK average salary for full time work.

Seriously! I thought oil rig work was dangerous and workers made great money. Ignorance fought.

Here are US pay rates