UK EU In/Out referendum-:Polling day thread.

The more I think about this (having only seriously paid attention to this in the last day or so), the more I think that it is absolutely ludicrous that the Brexit referendum was not set up from the start as requiring a supermajority to make a change to the status quo.

Not requiring a supermajority means that the outcome can be tipped simply by relative turnout. For example, I heard this morning that 75 percent of Brits 24 and younger backed a Remain vote, but that their turnout was relatively low as compared to older voters. One young voter who was interviewed on the BBC stated that many of her friends didn’t bother voting because they never seriously thought that a “Leave” vote had any chance of passing.

(Incidentally, the results of the referendum vote by age group is striking. It’s notable that the voters who wanted Brexit the least will have to live with the consequences the longest.)

I wouldn’t be surprised that if (hypothetically speaking) another referendum were held next week or next month that the outcome would be different. A requirement for a supermajority to make a change to the status quo avoids this back-and-forth.

That’s not what Cameron is saying this morning, and unfortunately, taking such action would smack of “moving the goalposts.”

Elections for political office are different, because somebody has to be elected. If you require a supermajority for elective office, and a supermajority fails to be achieved, there is no status quo to return to. Either the office remains unfilled, or the incumbent remains in office (which is even more problematic, if it is even possible).

Also, an election for political office is not permanent, but only lasts for the length of the term of office. If a politician is elected with a simple majority or even with just a plurality of the vote, and doesn’t do a good job, then the voters can simply vote him/her out of office at the next election.

On the other hand, a permanent change (like a change to the Constitution in the U.S., or the Brexit referendum under discussion herein) should absolutely require a supermajority to change the status quo, IMHO.