UK EU In/Out referendum-:Polling day thread.

Yibbita yibbita … that’s all folks
Northumberland puts LEAVE over the top and a win by 1.1 million.
Not been a banner year for the political pundits around the globe.

Then EVERY modern election is illegitimate.

In 2008, Barack Obama was elected by 52.9% of 57.1%. By your logic, he’s not really president.

Note that Americans made a very similar bargain over 200 years ago. Each one of our States agreed to give up some of its sovereignty to the federal government of the United States. On the whole, I think it’s worked out well for us.

That said, our federal government has also expanded its reach into what used to be the affairs of the individual states to a greater and greater extent.

In any event, the comparison is valid, I think. There’s a reason that the EU has been compared to a United States of Europe.

Other headlines:
Markets plummet
Pound crashes on Brexit news

With the predictions earlier this evening for the “Remain” vote to prevail (as on the evening news in the U.S.), I think a lot of people are going to wake up in the morning to an unpleasant surprise.

This is a silly objection. No one is absolute master of any country. We are all ruled by others, and it makes little difference to most of us most of the time whether those others are in Westminster or in Brussels.

…or what economists or business leaders or independent fact-checking sites were “selling”.

Of course all these groups and individuals could be part of the conspiracy to kill Britishness and give away all our sovereignty and money (for whatever reason they’d want to do that).

But day 1 the data is on the experts’ side: huge plunge in value of Sterling.

Allow me to fight your ignorance. The U.K. Has welcomed wave after wave of immigrants. Most have integrated well. For whatever reason, recent immigrants, mainly Muslim but also East Europeans, have yet to integrate well. The racism has been on the part of the migrants, not the natives. That is fine if you are the conqueror (q.v. Normans, Vikings) but they’re not. Specifically with regards to religion, it may be instructive to compare Sikhs and Muslims. The former seem to have integrated much better.

Personally, I think integration will take several generations and will be fine in the end, but it has clearly grated on many.

But Turkey did. Remember Turkey?

Personally I think the country’s fucked in the long-term - the changes won’t be sudden and catastrophic but we’ll see a slow economic erosion, particularly in the “heartlands”, and increased influence by the right-wing wealthy and the right-wing media. And Scotland is certainly going to press for another referendum. Bye-bye, UK.

But hey, we’ll still be able to blame it all on immigrants.

This

is completely removed from reality. Not that migrants haven’t been racist - they have - but this idea that the British welcome immigrants with open arms is staggeringly wrong. Hell, ask what’s left of the Windrush generation - who were invited to come - how welcome they were made to feel.

ITV reporter just said that most likely the prime minister will shortly announce his resignation.

He has Going in 3 months.

Cameron resigns

Does anyone else get the feeling that no one, Cameron, Osbourne and hell even Farage, Johnson never expected Brexit to win and even the later two are a bit miffed at it actually happening.

Yep, be careful what you wish for I guess.

Markets imploding all over the world, the UK PM resigning, what’s next?

Donald Trump POTUS?

Mark Carney’s now running through how strong the UK financial system is. Bank run time perhaps?

No it isn’t. Look over a longer period. Look at the immigration from the Netherlands, for instance. Or from France.

Perhaps you should try reading what I actually wrote. I said that they had integrated well. And I’m looking over a period of the past several centuries.

And how are things now, decades later? Much better, aren’t they?

Martin McGuinness is calling for referendum on United Ireland.

In what possible way have the Eastern Europeans failed to integrate? Bear in mind that you’re talking about my actual neighbours here.

And regarding Sikhs, you may recall that the author of the play “Behtzi” was driven into hiding - and the play cancelled - following death threats by devout Sikhs and that there have been cases of honour crime against those who marry out of the Sikh community. To say nothing of the massive protests over motorcycle helmets which led to Sikhs having their religious dogma directly affect UK law.

This isn’t to say that Sikhs have failed to integrate or represent some sort of threat to Britain. But is it possible that the availability heuristic and confirmation bias are misleading you a little here?

On whole, yeah, but that was an agreement between states that wanted to be a nation as well as trade partners, not trade partners who’ve seen quasi-nationhood creeping up on them. And even so, it’s taken us hundreds of years, hundreds of thousands of lives and uncounted billions of dollars. And to this day, the union between South and North is often bitter.

I’m not commenting on what the EU should do, just pointing out that following the American example is harder than it looks.