UK: How much tip should a taxi driver get for a £5.00 ride?

Also, How much tip for a £10 take-away meal?

I tip. But being an Englishman at heart I always feel inappropriate doing so, as if it’s unexpected of me. I’ve been brought up to hand over money to the nearest pound. Any time I accidentally miscalculated the shopkeeper would hand some back saying ‘you gave me too much’. That’s probably why it feels odd to deliberately give more than I have been charged. Especially if I am giving pound coins rather than fivers.
(Interesting fact: In the Isle of Man we still have one pound notes. I hate the bloody things)

Did I say Interesting? I meant boring.

Well, according to my UK friends, 10% is the norm accross the pond, so I would say 50p to the Taxi driver and 1 pound to the meal.

However, one girlfriend also said that you almost never tip in pubs, even if you order food, 'cus you have to walk up and order it yourself.

I think when I was there in London I left a pound or 2 anyway, 'cus the barkeep was very friendly, and my meal was great. (I’ve heard really bad things about English food, but almost everything on my trip was super - particularly the B&B breakfasts - I’ve never eaten so much in my life!) :slight_smile:

Only ever tipped a taxi driver the once, when I was drunk at the last Christmas office do. My ex’ tried tipping a taxi driver who seemed displeased at being made to keep the change :dubious:

I always tip for a meal, but then I never eat out at anywhere remotely expensive, so my tips are usually around a pound or so, it takes too much time to work out the 15% and all that :wink:

Yup, a student who worked in our office here in Belfast tried tipping a barman (which she tells us is the norm in the US) was surprised to be refused the tip.

I outsmarted him and just left it on the table. He didn’t chase me out in the street with it anyway - hopefully he wasn’t offended - I think it was obvious that I wasn’t from around there…

:slight_smile:

I just tip to the nearest pound for taxi rides. The only time I use taxis is to get from the city center (ok, fine centre) to the university area which should be about £4, so I always give a fiver. If it comes out to exactly £5, no tip. If it comes out as more than £5, I’m a bit upset and again no tip because it shouldn’t cost that much. So, basically I just tip to the nearest pound mostly because I don’t want a bunch of shrapnel (I’ve never written that word before - looks quite strange written).

For take-away food - I’ve never tipped. It would seem very awkward and they certainly don’t seem to be expecting it. I hope I’m not upsetting them - but they seem to be friendly enough to me. I have no friends who tip for take-away food either. But, we are all students, so perhaps our views on money should be taken with a grain of salt. (That, and I’m not actually from the UK, so maybe I am constantly making social faux pas without knowing it)

There are one pound notes in Scotland as well. Yes, they are terrible - makes it look like you actually have some money in your wallet only to realize that, in fact, no there is not enough there for another beer.

Nearest pound, and no more. If it comes to exactly £5, then it’s his hard luck.

Because we’re not expected to tip with it being the UK, I usually just say “keep the change.”

The etiquette on tipping in pubs in the UK is explained in the wonderful website Fancy A Pint (see FAQs on the left), which contains sensible descriptions of most pubs in Greater London.

The FAQ section also includes advice on how to order drinks.

I absolutely hate tipping and never seem to get it right. I either proffer far too little or far too much. And am always entirely embarrassed by every such transaction.

Saying, “Keep the change” is my usual way of doing it.