UK radio "journalist" makes an ass of himself and then doubles down

Pretty obvious. The guy pissed himself and everybody is laughing at him. But he thinks he’s the ultimate winner because their ridicule means that he’s living in their heads, “rent free.”

Several amusing memes have arisen.

Everything I know about debating I learned at the Argument Clinic.

No you didn’t!

I’m sorry, I’m not allowed to argue unless you pay.

Thanks for that. Some really funny ones in there.

Too bad the “journalist” who wrote it then goes “In fairness talkRadio has embraced this viral moment”. “In fairness”? The moron keeps repeating “I was right”!

Where have you been the last few years? This is the way of today. You say something daft or gross, and when called on it you double down and go “yeah, I said it!” to keep triggering them, and that makes you a swole chad (*). If you apologize and admit your fuckup you are weak and deserve to be cancel-cultured. Os something like that.

(* Full disclosure: attempted usage of the terms “swole” and “chad” based on limited Boomer understanding of WTF they mean…)

My favorite is this one:

Concrete jungle… :rofl:

It makes me wonder how I keep from going under.

Agreed!

You’re confusing journalists with lawyers.

Maybe if we’re talking about a breaking news story where research is not possible, and the interview is going out live. However, in other cases, a good journalist will have researched the topic beforehand. If it’s possible to know the answer before the interview, they should.

There’s no way a good journalist should not have known that trees are a renewable resource, and that this is why being a carpenter does not in any way conflict with being an environmental activist. I knew that, and I’m remembering that from grade school environmental programs.

Well, I mean, within reason. Deforestation is still a major environmental issue, as is the impact of shipping wood to places that lack it. I’d say that here in the Middle East, concrete construction is more sustainable than wood. Rocks, we have plenty of; trees, not so much.

The entire purpose of an interview is to elucidate and produce information. If the journalist already has that information ahead of time, then the interview is pointless and and a waste of time.

Problem most likely isn’t the rocks. Surprisingly, it’s sand.

I’d love to see an LCA on this. I’m not expecting you to produce one.

Per random googling, Marine shipping emits 11-42 grams CO2 per ton–km.
Portland cement is a ton per ton, but that only composes a portion of concrete. And of course it’s not a one to one comparison by weight.

A tree farm near the port if Savannah to Jebel Ali is about 17000 km.

I remember when I learned that “selling sand to the Saudis” isn’t as silly as it sounds, not just because the local sand makes shitty aggregate, but apparently it has too much iron for silicon production (say for solar panels.)

If I recall the issue of selling sand was in Abu Dhabi and Dubai and the local sand was the wrong shape ( very smooth) and too salty and high levels of salt can cause cement and concrete to set up too fast and basically it ends up crumbling away too soon, although if you dont have a lot of freshwater and use weather that also impacts the strength and corrodes the structural steel). So sand was imported, until they found a large area further inland which had decent sand , probably still import a lot though when they had the building boom.

FWIW I was looking up concrete cabon impact as I was trying to ballpark carbon impact of building a nuclear reactor, its about 300- 400 kg/ m3 or 130-180 kg /tonne depending what you mix the cement up with ( cement is about 13-15% of the concrete.

You’re confusing an interview about breaking news, where the person being interviewed is the only one in the room who knows what’s going on, and an interview about someone’s political or social campaign, where the interviewer will have been briefed beforehand and will collaborate with the interview subject to get the important information out there in an efficient fashion.

Clearly the interviewer was trying to set up a “Gotcha!” question. “You say you’re an environmentalist, but you kill trees! You’re a fraud, gotcha!”

If you’re gonna play “Gotcha!”, you have to know what you’re talking about, or all you’re going to get is laughed at.