Ultimate challenge for dopers: Does anyone know where I can find pocket RSV Bibles?

No I’m not a scholar, I just find the RSV to be the most poetic and literal version without being as arcane and hard to read as the KJV.

I was visiting a monestary:

http://www.franciscanfriars.com/

and the friars were extremely hospitible and gracious, they expressed their desire for pocket RSV NT’s, I figured this was the least I could do to express my appreciation. But alas, I don’t think there are any out there

The RSV is from 1901, so I presume that it would be out of copyright, which would mean that you could print them yourself. But only 20 is too small a number to print yourself at any sort of reasonable price. It appears that your best choice is to find them one by one used (in used bookstores and online used booksellers).

It is from 1901, but has had subsequent updates all the way till 1971, that’s why I have a hard time seeing why I can’t find them at all. Do you think the copyright would still be out?

parisms writes:

> Do you think the copyright would still be out?

Still be out? Huh? When I say that something is out of copyright, I mean that the copyright has expired, so anyone can reprint it without getting permission or paying royalties. The fact that it has had updates up till 1971 does not (I think) mean that it stays in copyright. The version that was printed in 1901 is out of copyright (i.e., in the public domain, can be reprinted without paying royalties). The updates done in 1971 are presumably still in copyright, so you would have to be careful not to use a recent edition to copy from.

Why don’t you advertise on E-bay for 20 pocket-sized copies of the RSV and see if somebody has a box of them stored away somewhere?