Ultimately, is civilization maladaptive?

It’s been out for a while. I would have imagined that anyone who wanted to see it would have seen it by now.

In any event, that theme becomes pretty obvious very early in the movie (if only stated explicitly near the end) and knowing it shouldn’t affect your enjoyment of the movie in the slightest. You can see pretty much everything that happens in the movie coming from a mile away. The enjoyment is in the philosophical issues the movie raises, the settings, and the excellent acting.

I have no “beliefs” about human genetics.

:rolleyes:SIGH:rolleyes:

This is a perfect example of what John Mace meant by the statement you quoted. Take a human and chimpanzee, give them both identical environments in which to learn English. The chimpanzee will understand many words and be able to sign a few words, but in the end will be an interesting oddity, not a speaker of English. A human will learn English.

The obvious genetic component in this case is the development of the brain so that we are able to learn language. Environment determines what language we actually learn or whether we cobble together some form of communication, but we’ll always want to speak.

Also, there is no scientific evidence of “feral children”, but there is plenty of hoaxes perpetrated on the public for various reasons and reality of these hoaxes are opportunist adults and mentally handicapped children…probably with a disorder that has a known genetic cause.

Victor is a well known case abundantly documented by his caregiver.

Something I believe in has to do with being hardwired to operate certain physical traits that we could potentaily possess thousands of years from now. Not that we ever will only that the wiring is in place just in case. Weird but realistic dreams about flying, swimming, climbing, fighting, things of this sort lead me to believe this.

It’s also a somewhat chicken-and-egg thing: our genetics create the brain structures that predispose certain aspects of human behavior. Behavior can be imprinted by environment or rearing (to the extent that it overrides the “default settings”), but the predispositions will always be there.

I guess I should also include children abandoned because of their genetic developmental disorders and were later discovered by well-meaning individuals who ascribed the child’s deficits to the wrong cause. As quoted from your cite:

or:

TED talks are hardly expositive. They are essentially random, but notable, assholes, pontificating. Randomly.

To give them any more than that, requires you to make an “appeal to authority” logical error. Sorry, I ain’t going to do that. Also, they frequently step on their own dicks, when making those TED talks. Sorry, I ain’t stepping in the shit they did. Finding cat-shit on the bottom of my shoe leads me to ignore those who don’t notice that catshit. And scrape it off. I do not ask “Could it have been scraped”, I just scrape it… That’s where TED talks are. Appeals to “authority” doesn’t work. But that’s all TED does.