Ummm... Dunkins, might want to check with your linguistics department.

This is waaaaaaay too lame for the Pit, but it ticks me off to no end.

Dunkin’ Donuts new commercial bemoans the trend of exotic-sounding coffee names by wondering what the language of origin of all those names might be. “Is it French? Is it Italian? Maybe… Fratalian?”

And then John Goodman, our savior comes on, and lets those of us in similar agony over such esoteric names know that, at Dunkin’ Donuts, you can order in English, not Fratalian.

“Wow! Saved! What lovely product can I order in English, Mr. Goodman?” you might wonder.

(wait for it)

(wait for it)

LATTE. Apparently, you can walk up to your friendly Dunkin Donuts associate and order, in English, a LATTE.

LATTE IS NOT AN ENGLISH WORD! IF I RECALL CORRECTLY, IT’S FREAKING FRENCH! THE SAME LANGUAGE FROM WHICH YOU ARE CHAMPIONING AN ESCAPE!!

:smack:

I’ve had enough.

Sorry, “latte” *is *English now. It’s in English dictionaries and everything.

And it’s derived from Italian, not French. caffe latte

Well, apart from the fact that it’s blindingly obvious that I don’t know squat from languages, it’s still ITALIAN. The OTHER derided language in the commercial.
And sure it’s English, but, by the same token, aren’t all the other coffee names?

… and here I was expecting you to say that people could order a croissant in English. Go figure.

merde.

Just try to order a “big crescent roll and a cup of coffee” at one of those places and see how far you get. :smiley:

Coffee gives me gas.

Gas gives me coffee.

Well, there’s English and then there’s Marketing Pseudo-European English. “Frappaccino”, “Macchiato”, “Grande”, “Venti” and “Ristretto” are all words on Starbucks’ menu that don’t appear on my freedictionary.com . Neither, of course, does Big Mac.

Really, the ad is just xenophobic blue-collar (see: John Goodman, the wealthiest Everyman in Hollywood) bullshit designed to make frou-frou coffee seem pretentious and “other”, which must be bad.

I understand this is a joke, but I’m getting so tired of it. You certainly can go into a Starbucks and order a “Small coffee, black”. And you can point at a desert treat and say, “That one, there.” You’ll get the coffee of the day in the smallest cup (“Tall”, I believe) and the pastry you want. Overpriced and burnt? Sure, absolutely. But the meme that you can’t order a simple cup of coffee is just not accurate.

Ah, but that’s how they get ya. Their smallest size is actually “short”, but they don’t put it on the menu. So if you ask for “small”, there’s no telling what you’ll get.

Maybe the commercial was being intentionally ironic?