UN Disabilities treaty

That’s simply the strawman you’ve created.

How so? The treaty costs us nothing. Our endorsement adds credibility to it.

The reason the Republicans (including those who know better) voted against the treaty is they are afraid of being primaried by Tea Party types. Rick Santorum led the charge against this treaty because he was afraid that it would put homeschools under the watch of the UN.

So what are you talking about?

Simply not true. It obligates to create reports we didn’t before, and there are several areas where it appears we would be obligated to create new laws and spend money. I’m not sure the legal force the courts would give this, but even if no legal obligation is created, we are still obligating ourselves morally by ratifying the treaty.

So you’re not sure if it’s true.

I’m not sure if what is true?

That the treaty costs nothing.

You are wrong. The treaty has no enforcement mechanism.

We’re obligated morally to do what we’re doing now. The treaty is based on what we do now.

:confused:

I clearly said that it obligates us to create reports and, by my reading, new laws as well. That obviously will cost money, time, and effort.

And you’re still wrong.

I didn’t say UN troops would come and enforce the treaty. I said we would be obligated to follow the treaty. Morally, because we are agreeing to do so, and possibly legally because treaties are considered the law of the land according to the constitution.

We compile reports to the UN every four years detailing how we treat disabled people in this country?

We already treat the disabled as well as the treaty wants. It’s modeled on the ADA.

What is the punishment for not submitting such a report?

The Department of Justice and the Congressional Office of Compliance already compile reports, more often than that, on our own ADA compliance. Summaries of these could easily be sent to the UN, to continue our example-setting on the issue. It would cost a couple of staffers a couple hours per year. Plus postage.

Speaking of wasting time, I trust you have written to your Congresscritter protesting that the House repealed Obamacare, what, 37 times already?

Again, this doesn’t appear to be true. For example, one of the items is:

As far as I know there is no requirement under the ADA to provide any of these.

I’m not sure what you are suggesting here. Are you implying that this treaty will cost us nothing because we will ignore every promise we make? That’s a rather dubious contention. Besides, how is ratifying the treaty and then proceeding to ignore it better than just not ratifying it?

Tyranny!

What’s to stop the local Safeway from deciding to earn extra money by turning into a discotheque at night? Organizations are generally run by rules and principals. There are funding and other limitations that make it difficult for organizations to do things that have no official support.

Look up a few lines:

“2. States Parties shall also take appropriate measures to:”

Appropriate measures. It’s not saying that sign language experts have to be in every restroom in the country.

I was trying to point out that your fear of the powers of this treaty were unjustified.

It has no powers. It is based on good will and acceptance.

The point is that you are wrong. You are said that we treat the disabled as well as the treaty wants. That simply is not true. There are parts of it that we don’t have laws covering. So if we want to be in compliance we are going to have to pass laws. Nor does this treaty have no cost, like you contend. There are reports to compile, and it is extremely unlikely that it is a couple hour job. To do it right, each point will need to be matched to an applicable law, and the effectiveness of that law needs to be reported. That is a significant effort, and will cost a lot of money.

It seems like you are saying we can simply ignore everything in the treaty. While that is likely true, I would rather just not agree to do something than agree to do it with no intention of actually doing it.

treis, can you link to the treaty text that calls for specific measures beyond the scope of the ADA? Your claims are not in line with any of the reports I’ve heard.

Again, reports on ADA compliance are already routine. I’m sure we generate far more data than the UN actually expects, so the only ‘work’ involved would be editing it down.

So the US needs to sign this treaty, and then somebody won’t turn a refugee camp into a disco, but if we don’t, then they will. Is that it?

So the US should sign the treaty, and then ignore some or all of its provisions. This is setting a good example?

I think we are going about this discussion the wrong way. Somebody give me a good reason why we should sign this, and please be specific.

Regards,
Shodan