Unappetizing food names!!

{snappy salute} Anytime, mon Chef.

And…HEY! I LIKE Kentucky Burgoo! ladle me out a bowlful with EXTRA squirrel, please.

I have never been able to eat a corn dog, as much for the image the name conjures up as for whatever might be in it.

I heard about this one on a talk radio show one time (consider the source).

Apparently this young lad (23ish?) sold everything he owned, took a sabbatical from his job at IBM, and decided to spend a year traveling the globe. So the host of the show asked him what the most unique food he sampled on his journey. The lad replied he had a dish in China called “Three Squeaks” (rough translation).

The name doesn’t sound so bad, ‘til you come to understand the meal. According to the story, the chef takes a very pregnant rat, removes the fetuses, and serves the new hatchlings fresh with some type of hot sauce. When you grab one of the squirming babes with your chopsticks, it will squeak. Then you dip the creature in the hot sauce where it again squeaks. And the third squeak occurs when your teeth crunch the still live rat. A delicacy of the worst order.

This is the most God-awful “treat” I have ever heard described. I don’t know if this is on the up-and-up, but it’s a fun story to tell at keg parties & bars. Course it won’t get you many dates; the reaction’s the thing!

Satan doesn’t smoke? Where the Hell am I?

Does anyone remember the SNL skit making fun of:

“With a name like Shmuckers, its got to be good!” ?

Each person would come out and sell their wares each with a more horrendous name than the last. It got to the point where someone came out, held up their jam, and said something to the effect of, “The name of this jam is so horrible, I can’t reveal it on television. Needless to say, this is some good jam.” He then showed it to the previous salesman who would gag and say, “Yeah. That’s GOTTA be good jam.”

My mother-in-law made a dish that she called “Rats and rice”
She learned to make it from her mother, who knows where ** she ** learned to make it.

It is a tomato gravy with tuna in it served over rice. It took me a long time to get past the name enough to try it.

Thankfully Lionsob doesn’t like it too much so I don’t have to make it myself.

Beef Stroganoff sounds like a masturbating cow, to me.

Take some Oreo cookies, grind 'em up, creme and all, to make a crumb pie crust. Fill with coffee flavored ice cream. Spread with fudge sauce. Served with whipped cream, drizzled with butterscotch sauce. Voila! Mud Pie.

Also, I remember hearing about how Paul Simon wrote the song, “Mother & Child Reunion.” He got it off a Chinese menu. It was chicken and eggs.

yogurt

curd

guacamole

All sound like something that would come out of one end or another of a baby.

I have always thought guacamole sounded like diarrhea.

What about “Digestive” cookies? They are an Irish or British cookie, and are actually quite good, but I wouldn’t try them for the longest time because I thought they must taste like Tums or Maalox. I’m not sure if they are supposed to aid in digestion or if that word has some other meaning across the sea.

-Bovril & Clamato (yeah, I know they’re technically drinks. But they still sound unappetizing).

-Bible tripe.

-scrod.

Milossarian - my brother, who is normally open-minded about foods, refuses to eat guacamole because he thinks it LOOKS like something that came out of one end of a baby, in addition to sounding like it. Can’t say he’s wrong, though I enjoy a good guac myself.

Myron said:

FYI, if you’ve ever had anything “oyako” at a Japanese restaurant, it means the same thing.

I realize that this is going to be about as far “off post” as you can get, but…

Ike, I remember when Groucho Marx was awarded his Lifetime Achievement Academy Award in the early 70s, and he made a special point of thanking his brothers for their contribution to his success. The last person he thanked, and what made it extra poignant, was Margaret Dumont. Interestingly enough, she apparently was just as proud and unsuspecting in real life as she was on the screen.

Hello, I must be going…
I’ve come to say, I cannot stay
I must be going…
I’ll stay a week or two,
I’ll stay the summer through,
But for now,
I must be going.

Ike is right on the money, Germans do have some funky names for food. We had sauerbraten for dinner tonight, it’s quite good but that name! Some more wacky German foods include Schmorbraten(pot roast), Kalbslyoner (my son’s favorite lunchmeat, don’t want to know what’s in it), Spargel (aspargus), and Leberspatzle (liver dumplings, suprizingly good).

Then again, most German words sound pretty strange, and their fondness for compound nouns does nothing to help.

All these posts, and nobody mentions the food
with the word name that sounds just like it
tastes–TOFU!!!

mmmmm…shit-on-a-shingle…ain’t nothing better for a hangover…here in the south (the kakalaka’s) biscuit smothered in sausage gravy…mmmmm

rhubarbs are taste pretty good but the name kept me away…

I loved working in a mexican restaurant and having customers ask me what pico-de-gallo was.

But then there is my favorite word in all the world, probably the worlds best food additive…riboflavin!

I will never forget the episode of Our Gang(later known as The Little Rascals) in which Stymie (the black kid with the shaved head) says:
“They may choke Artie, but they ain’t gonna choke Stymie.”

By the way, Evil Jungle Prince is a delicious Thai dish.

I’m astonished no one’s mentioned that perennial English dish, toad-in-the-hole. And yes, it tastes just as nasty as it sounds.

Don’t know how many of you have actually gotten a chance to try this stuff. I believe it’s native to Hawaii, and I have yet to see it anywhere in the mainland states. It, hands down, was the worst tasting stuff I have ever had… and it has a wierd name to boot…
Poi <–aka Hawaiian wallpaper paste

I have to go with scrod - it sounds like a venereal disease. And **yogurt[b/] sounds like someone vomiting. Eww!

StG

I also have never tasted egg nog, and I don’t ever plan to.

I’m not interested in drinking any liquid egg product, nor one that has the syllable ‘nog’ in it.