Unappetizing food names!!

Ooh, I forgot about the Crappy and Orange Roughy, both fish. And anything called “food product” as in pasteurized cheese food product. Blech.

tatertot… I must agree with you! However…
There is one pasteurized cheese product that is soooooooo goood… sigh…
<hangs head in shame>
O.K., I admit it…
Velveeta

I have had the (dis)pleasure of tasting some poi. It is grey, thick, and all around nasty. A friend of mine from Hawaii just loves the stuff, but I could barely finish one “bite” of it (its like eating sludge, but not as tasty).

Easy-cheese too… ewww.

-S

KP- “veres hurka” is the Hungarian blood sausage, and it’s damned good, as far as blood sausages go. ever go to a good ol’ fashioned pig kill while you were out here? Not the prettiest sight in the world but, hey, damned it’s good eatin’

My votes would have to go to “marmite” (sounds more like something you’d ind in a cave) and “czernina” which is even more disgusting when served: Polish duck blood soup. Yech!

I suppose I owe hurka (my mind insists it “hurl-ka” but that’s probably a psychological effect) another try. But it’ll be hard… I was scarred by the smell after walking around coated in that stuff for 20 minutes, as I went home to change. (Is it supposed to have that fluid a consistency, or did I get a bad one?)

A lot of posters will think the Hungarian “cherry soup” or “cherry sausage” sound unappetizing. Boy, what they’re missing! (Cherry sausage was new when I was down there, the creation of some Univ. prof. Did it catch on?)

cherry soup’s great – the thing is, the germanic and scandinavian countries also have a version of this, so it might not be as weird as one might think.

what the hell is “cherry sausage?” i asked my colleagues and they have given me the what-planet-are-you-from
look. come, come, elucidate …

From KP’s Annals of World Travel * [Warning: bad Hungarian humor ahead*

Cherry Sausage:

1. a healthy meat substitute dreamed up by a Hungarian professor – either in Budapest or Debreszen – in the 80’s. I believe it wasn’t 100% cherries, but the details are blurry now. All I remember was thinking… wow, this really isn’t bad at all! The more I ate, the more meat-like it seemed, I just had to stop thinking of cherries.

Then again, I had a 4 L a day cherry soda habit there - safer than the local water, as I got acclimated. After that, who could resist? Can’t beat them Hungarian cherries!

1. This definition cannot be released without the express written permission of one Ilona Szent-Nagy. [Can’t beat those Hungarian cherries!]

2. A common reaction to Hungarian produce: I never sausage cherries!

3. Something you should never put Cherry Coke on (see Orgasm Physiology thread]

4. The reason they had to burn that one Rakoczy at the stake.

BTW, thanks for reminding me of the ‘pig kill’. I’d totally forgotten about it, but images started floating to the surface, and finally I remembered. Mine was a much more touristy affair (not much gore IIRC) than I usually favor, but a memory I’d have hated to lose: Hungarian cowboys, rope tricks, whip tricks, gypsies,… the aforementioned Ilona (Jesu! There are a lot of Nagy’s in the Debrescen phone book!) … and meat. I don’t recall the meat much. Too much Egri Bikaver … way too much Egri Bikaver, considering I’d spent all day doing wine tastings in the Tokaj valley.

plnnr, what the heck are you talking about? And what didn’t Margaret Dumont suspect?

We have a diner here called Squeezers Hamburgers.

Sounds like the joke that ends “don’t ask how he makes donuts”.

Poo Poo Plater- found at any Chinese restuarant.

C’mon, guys. I didn’t say I meant Dirty Rice, Mole, or Crab Boil literally contained those ingredients. I said the names are downright unappetizing.
To Whom It May Concern: FYI, it’s “Smuckers,” not “Shmucker’s.”
I saw a cracker with the brand name “Weetabix.” Not particularly appealing.
I thought “bean curd” was really “bean crud.” :smiley:
And quesadilla means “little cheesy thing.” (By the way, what does “chimichanga” mean? Isn’t “chango” Spanish for “monkey”?)

“Poo poo platter?” You mean Bloodhound Gang didn’t make that up?

Anyway. There are exactly five foods that taste exactly as they sound: yogurt, tofu, pudding, goulash, and squid.

There’s a light Quebecois pastry called pets de nonnes or pets de soeurs. Both names mean “nun’s farts”.

Then there’s poutine, which is very useful for increasing your blood cholesterol level instantly. It’s glorious. The only funny thing about poutine besides the name is that Vladimir Putin’s name is spelled “Poutine” in French. (At least he does better in French than in Esperanto, where “putin’” means whore.)

Once went to a “Hollywood” theme restaurant with a “Blond Bombshell” French dip sandwich. Everyone made hair-in-the-food cracks until I couldn’t eat it, stuck to the potato wedges.

Tomato Aspic. Sounds like an organic proctologist’s device.

Brains’ Faggots

Nice try, but this is what you said:

I think this was more than a misunderstanding on our part.

Also:

They used the name “Shmucker’s” in the sketch so they wouldn’t get sued by Smucker’s. IIRC, one of the other badly named jellies touted in the sketch was called “Painful Rectal Itch.” Mmmmm-boy, spread some of THAT on your morning bagel.
[/QUOTE]

well, i think that lutefisk is really gross after hearing a story about it. that and i can’t hear the word “lobster” without getting pains in my nether regions anymore. oh well, at least it’s not as gross as having to eat gifilted fish. not my thing. that and my mother likes to eat sheep’s heads, especially the eyes. YUCK.

Ok. Ready for this?
I have in front of me, a menu from a famous Chinese delivery place in Toronto.

Item K (Under meal for one)reads:
Cream of Some Young Guy over steamed rice … $3.99.

So help me, I am not making this up.

Enjoy yer meal - and Come again.

And of course the punchline given by Jane Curtin: “Find it at your local store. Ask for it by name!”

Wasn’t another product named “Nose Hair?”

As a child, I was forced to eat “Kuamke’s” for dinner several times (not sure about the spelling, maybe Quamkee). It was a hollowed out head of lettuce filled with beef and rice mixture, and I hated it. But the name was even worse…it reminded me of a sound you make when you are ready to vomit. And twisting your mouth around it isn’t fun either.
Ewwwwwww.
Also, scrapple sounds like what it is - taking all the nasty parts of animals and scraping them together. Ish.