Understanding the posts..I am a newbie

I have a couple of questions regarding posts on this board…

1. Why cannot one edit his OWN posts?
  2. I am new to the board. Will some kind soul tell me the full form of all the abbreviations used e.g. IMHO, WAG etc etc.?
    Thanks

As to your first question, I think that’s mostly to avoid posters from abusing the privledge and going back and editing their own posts in order to change something that’s already been responded to, thus creating mass confusion.

For the abbreviations, you might want to do a search of ATMB. I think that thread’s been done many times.

This board is the home to many heated debates. Sometimes the argument can hinge on some poster’s particular wording. If the poster can go back and change their wording than it is a recipe for a (molasses) disaster.

If you want to be able to edit your posts, then use the preview function, it’s there for a reason.

Some of the more common abbreviations:

IMHO: In My Humble Opinion (sometimes just IMO if one isn’t feeling so humble).
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary, meaning, your experience may differ.
IANAD: I Am Not A Doctor (also used for all and any other professions), a disclaimer put at the start of a post to show that the poster does not have any expertise in the area under discussion.
WAG: Wild Arsed/Assed Guess

You may also want to have a close read of the forum descriptions. A post such as this would get a more helpful response if posted in ATMB (About This Message Board), it would also be more likely to get a response from a moderator or Administrator who can give more authorative answers to your questions.

P.S. Welcome to the SDMB.

The Acronym Finder is a good source for ferreting out the meanings of all those TLA’s (and more). :wink:

wisernow,

Welcome to the boards. Others have explained why we don’t allow members to edit their own posts. There is too great a risk for abuse.

General Questions is for questions with factual answers. ATMB is for discussions About This Message Board. Please read the forum descriptions. Since your questions have been answered, I’ll just close this instead of moving it to ATMB.

DrMatrix - GQ Moderator