Underwater photography

I want to buy an underwater camera for when I go diving, can anybody advise on this subject as to what kind of camera I should get?

Thank you for your help.

P.S.: I’ll go looking on diving message boards but I thought I’d try my luck here.

I think you better start with a target price range. You can have cheapo systems for a few bucks (like a point-n-shoot inside a zip-lock baggie), up to many thousands of dollars, depending on how serious you are about it.

I know one of the directors of the San Diego Underwater Photo Society – take a look at sdups.com. Lots of information, including a “Learn” section. I’m sure you could pick up a pen-pal from their membership who would serve as a mentor. They definitely (in my experience) fall into the “really great bunch of nice guys” category.

There are underwater cases for some point-n-shoots. I had an old Canon P&S camera and the underwater case for it, about 7-8 years ago, was about $100. It worked pretty well, but I only took it down to about 30 feet.

If you already have a P&S then try searching for an underwater case for it.

If your requirements aren’t too demanding, there are underwater disposable/single use cameras available. I took a quick look online and there are some not-too-expensive purpose built waterproof cameras available as well.

Thank you so much for that link. There is a guide for beginners.

Basically what I’ll do is use one of my older digital camera and find waterproof housing for it, at least to begin.

Thank you all for you advice!

I haven’t upgraded my setup for a number of years…but Ikelite used to be the definitive source for housings for cameras.

The wetpixel forums are a good source of information for underwater photography. They at least used to have really good guides for buying equipment…cameras, trays, strobes, etc.
I personally have a Fuji 810 with a housing from Ike. (Yes, there is an Ike. He at least used to be very active in the company, and in customer support).

One thing that tends not to be obvious when you’re looking at underwater photography - go for zero shutter lag. The marine life can here the mechanisms when you take a picture, and you need it actually take that picture before the animal reacts.