Underwhelming "weird" foods

Second that for sheep’s eyeballs. Can’t say I noticed any hint of organness, as I was too busy swallowing. But there was nothing deeply offensive in them.

Or in the ears (too crunchy for my liking, but nothing in terms of flavour to put you off). Or in the roof of the mouth. Or the brains.

The eyeballs were crunchy? The eyeballs I had were pretty gelatinous. They basically felt like a soft hunk of fat.

Oh man, if I would culturally translate that sentence to Dutch (the Netherlands are Salt & Sweet Liquorice Central) it would sound something like this.

“I went to the store and bought a bottle of “sauce”. Thought I’d try it on my steak.”
-“So, how’d it taste?”
"You know, it didn’t quite match the steak. Just meh. Not bad, not anything I’d go out of my way for. "
-“But what kind of sauce was it? Hot sauce? Steak sauce? Thousand Islands salad dressing? Mayonnaise?”
“Dunno. Sauce.”

You obviously didn’t get the right kind. Proper salted licorice is anything but meh. It will make a grown Marine cry.

Or maybe I’m thinking of the double salted. Great for sore throats.

Yes, but so would an injury in a delicate part of the anatomy, and that’s not something the Marine would like at all :wink:

Love the analogy! Of course, if one were at a grocery store in another country, that was trying to appear “cool” by selling “American steak sauce”, without any knowledge of what a Yank might consider an edible steak topping, I can imagine the shopkeeper proudly displaying a shelfload of, say, off-brand and expired “Russian” salad dressing. Which would sort of vaguely resemble, say, A1 sauce enough that a newbie mightn’t know any better…

In other words, I’ll gladly admit I was sold something that is almost, but not entirely, unlike decent salty licorice :slight_smile: And if those in the know can recommend one or two brands of the stuff, which are available in the US (online presumably), I’ll make it my mission to procure and try some!

More in line with the OP, and this is a second-hand story: a friend of ours was raised in a conservative Jewish household (mom kept kitchen kosher, dad sneaked his cheeseburgers when he was out). As such, he’d never had pork until he went away to college. Feeling daring, he ate some. Unfortunately, the pork he ate came in the form of sausage pizza topping at the college cafeteria :eek: . In other words, barely edible to a real sausage fan, and a dreadful introduction to the stuff. I don’t think he’s eaten pork since then.

Heh. Yes, licorice (as liquorice is called in Am. English) is a bit of an aquired taste. I’ve always wondered why it never has gotten a foothold in USA culture, yet liquorice is one of the things Dutch and Germans abroad crave. So much so, in fact, that I discovered a business that allows international ordering of liquorice. Venco and Haribo are good Dutch brands; but I can also recommend the sampler boxes (Dutch Sampler HD41S and Salty Sampler HD42S, with four kinds of salt or sweet liquorice. Pricey, though.

It’s easy to find licorice candy here. I see the round ones on the Wiki page at Trader Joes all the time. I’m not sure if any of it is “salty” though. I don’t eat it because it can worsen hypertension.

I hear this claim over and over, and and it never becomes any more true for me.

You cook tofu with other things, it tastes…like tofu. Which tastes bad. Not cataclysmically bad, mind you. Just not good. At all.

I recall the “spaghetti with tofu sauce” my college cafeteria used to serve. They did marinara and meat sauce just fine, so I tried their tofu sauce one time, just for kicks. Now, if tofu was really as passive as they say, I would think that the bits of it that I encountered would have given me the impression of comparatively flavorless bits of meat that had taken on the taste of the tomato sauce. Instead it tasted like marinara with decaying bits of rancid sink sponge in it.

My other encounters with tofu have yielded similar impressions.

Remind me to never have scrambled eggs at your place.

And while I’m not eating those eggs, remind me not to buy beef wherever you do. I don’t find buffalo to be terrible, but it’s tougher and gamier-tasting than most beef I’ve had.

So did I.

My own is fried octopus, which I tried in Hawaii. But it isn’t bland, it’s quite tasty. I snacked on it frequently while there.

I have to agree. It’s wrong. There are worse things than tofu, but why subject yourself to it? The rancid sponge comparison is spot on.

I ordered pineapple fried rice in a Vietnamese restaurant once and forgot to specify with shrimp and got tofu instead. I was prepared for nasty and got meh. I wouldn’t order it on purpose, but I’d share if somebody had it.

Testicles aren’t odd tasting at all. Bull fries, lamb fries, Rocky Mountain Oysters, whatever you want to call them, are pretty mild and definately unoffensive to the palate. They are battered and deep fried, of course, which makes just about anything taste the same.

I’m convinced you could put a bowl of them and some hot sauce in front of a bunch of guys watching football and drinking beer and they’d gobble them up without thinking.

I believe the ears were crunchy.

Surok How is Sheep’s Roof Mouth prepared?

As ****cher3 says, licorice candy is pretty common in the States. Not as wildly popular as chocolate, for example, but everyone knows what it is even if they don’t like it. The nicest part of that is, if I want licorice, nobody else in the family tries to get into my stash, :::chortle::: But we do go for the sweet stuff, not the salty.

All right, here goes. I browsed that site and I believe this page SHOWS what I had the other day - ‘Muntdrops’. It was in a bulk bin, simply labeled “salty licorice” (or steak sauce, or something ;)) but I distinctly remember the 5 and 10 figures on the coin-shaped candy.

So as promised: :::rolls up sleeves, clicks, places order::: Soon I’ll be tasting “Zout” (not “Dubbel Zout” which seems to be featured on some websites saying it’s dreadful stuff) as well as Venco Dropmix mixed sweet and salty bits. I’ll report back once I’ve tried them.

I may love 'em, I may hate 'em, but in the grand scheme of things, people have ingested far worse things as a result of things said on the board!

Glad this thread came by, because a few weeks ago I tried a dragon fruit. Now how friggin’ cool does that look??? You’d think it’d be sweet and exotic tasting, no?

Think again. It is just incredibly bland. Not sweet, not sour, not bitter. There’s just nothing there. So I put some sugar and salt on it. It then tasted like sugar and salt.

Looks damn cool though.

It looks to me like an aloe plant that someone’s grafted onto a radish, but to each his own.

Oh no! I’m sorry you had a bland one, because they CAN be delicious. It’s a fairly subtle flavour, almost a floral, perfumey kind of taste, and the texture is great too, crispy and juicy, with a crunch from the little black kiwi-like seeds. My mum grows dragonfruit, in the north of Australia; they come in two varieties, the white fleshed, like in the photo, and pink fleshed. The pink is a little stronger flavoured, but the juice can stain.

Your really bland one was possibly also a bit unripe - they don’t ripen after they’ve been picked, so probably don’t transport or store very well. If you’re ever in the tropics where they’re grown, do try another one.

Squid tentacles. I’ve tried them at Chinese and Japanese restaurants. Flavorless, rubbery. I’d call 'em a “what’s the point?” food.

Personally I love liver, blood sausage, sweetbreads, and some nice crispy grilled small intestine I had at an Argentinian steakhouse. I’d rather have good organ meats than mediocre steak just about any day! I also love octopus and squid, which are a lot less “weird”-seeming now than they were when we were kids.

And that reminds me, I also love another hated childhood food, spinach. But that’s what spinach and anal sex have in common. If you’re forced to have it all the time as a kid, you’ll hate it as an adult.

I tend to like exotic meats and unusual parts of ordinary animals.

I found antelope very very boring and bland. It may not always be so, but I can attest that it certainly can be.

Durian.

I happened across a couple for sale in the largest asian market in town and puchased one. I had long heard of it’s legendary smell and taste, so I was eager to try it. When my wife got home we took it outside and cracked it open, the smell was nowhere near as bad as I had been led to believe. I had read that they were banned in public places, could be smelled down the street, etc. It kinda smelled a bit sulphurous… maybe a bit of a hint of stale diaper sorta thing… mostly oniony though. The flavor, which I had read likened to ‘eating French custard in a sewer’ was certainly unique, the consistency was like soft scrambled eggs and the main taste was a vidalia onion/mango/pineapple blend with a wild garlic finish. I didn’t hate it but I also couldn’t believe people make such a big deal about this fruit. I still can’t, though I do concede that any durian shipped all the way here might not be at peak of flavor so if I ever do travel to durian eating areas in south Asia I might give it a second try. Maybe.