Uneven Edges On Some Books.......

… and absolutely straight edges on others. Why is that?

Is it cheaper to make the uneven ones, because I have seen some books where the price was the same as the straight-edged ones?

Is it traditional with some book binders and they bind them all this way? (I admit I haven’t checked this out, hence the question regarding tradition).

As a personal preference, it’s easier for me to turn the pages of the straight-edged ones.

Thanks

Q

It’s called a deckle edge.

Thanks, Duckster! :slight_smile:

“deckle edge”

Learned something new today. Awesome!

Q

I like the uneven edges when they do it on books.

Personally I think it makes it simpler to turn the page.

That’s a minor thing overall though so I am guessing it is more a marketing thing. A marketing thing that frankly works on me (inasmuch if you offered me a book with a smooth cut of pages or the same book with the deckled edge I’d take the latter).

Older books can have the projections turn brittle and break off during use, pretty much just from looking at them, covering you and your immediate vicinity in what appears to be diseased confetti.

I do like it when it’s new and deliberate, though. However, some books are produced with uncut edges (done in the old days as a way of proving that no one had read the book before you purchased it). You would cut the edges page by page as you read. Even sharp knives would leave the edges somewhat fuzzy and a dull knife might produce major scallops. A few books are still made uncut and you stumble across relatively recent books in used book stores in which the back third of the book was never cut. That tells you everything you need to know about the previous owner’s reading experience.