unfunny funnies get the axe

There was a bloodbath on the comics page of the Phoenix (AZ) Republic. They moved the crossword and jumble to the two comics pages and did away with Rugrats, Charlie, Gasoline Alley, Frank & Ernest, Ziggy, Shoe, The Born Loser, Close to Home and Hi & Lois. Mary Worth and Judge Parker are still stinking the place up but it shows that angry readers can make a difference.

Ha Ha Ha,

You fell for one of the oldest newspaper tricks around. I bet they had a reader’s survey where you rated the comics. As a result, they axed a few, condensed things up and made room for more advertising.

Comics cost money, advertising brings in money. To deflect criticism, newpapers always do that survey thing.

Same thing here in Victoria, Canada: Cathy, which Bill Griffiths of Zippy the Pinhead fame compared to “string dropped on a photocopier,” has been 86ed.

Incredibly, the Family Freakin’ Circus has survived. Who the hell reads that thing? There are only 3 strips: 1) The dead granparents; 2) “Not Me”; and 3) circuituous routes home. This must end!!

Rodd Hill: Incredibly, the Family Freakin’ Circus has survived. Who the hell reads that thing? There are only 3 strips: 1) The dead granparents; 2) “Not Me”; and 3) circuituous routes home. This must end!!

There used to be a cool site called “The Disfunctional Family Circus”. The Op would post a FC cartoon and invite people to contribute a good caption. Taste could (and often did) go out the window. But there were many witty people out there that came up with some beauties.

Naturally, it ended when King Features Syndicate (that last word seems appropriate) sicced their lawyers.

I beg to differ, Rodd Hill…you must be forgetting the 4th (and equally unfunny as the first 3) “Bill Keane takes a vacation so this week little Billy will draw for him”

If anyone needs me, I’m going off into the corner to dry heave…

I, for one, enjoy Frank&Ernest, and Close to Home. Family Circus, on the other hand…

who does read that? Any one of the millions care to admit to it?

Rodd Hill and mouthbreather forgot: 5) The mispronounced word strip

Your Official Cat Goddess since 10/20/99.

“I get along well with everybody.” --I.M.F.