Unintentionally hilarious moments in computer games

I’m playing the Sims one time, and my character is doing her thing–flirting with a hot guy outside on the lawn–when tiptoeing down the street comes a huge-arse bear with a pink bow on its head. Claire the Bear. She snuffles through the trash can and leaves.

I stared for about two seconds before laughing myself out of my seat. That’s still the best moment of the game. :smiley:

Not to mention the bit of trivia from The Two Towers:

Peter Jackson used a fairly intelligent computer program to do the major battle at Helm’s deep, called Massive. The first time they put all the variables in, the defenders of Helm’s Deep ran away.

I would have loved to see that.

In Pharaoh, there’s a code you can type in that turns the hippos (which are environmental hazards…they kill your reed gatherers) into the hippos from the original Fantasia, pink tutu and ballet shoes and all, and sets them to destroying your city by dancing all over it.

I’ve read in several forums that if you have the bearskin rug, she’ll wander over to it and start weeping.

So, in Neverwinter Nights, you can hire prostitutes. Now, the Neverwinter engine isn’t the most sophisticated chunk of code, so the first time I picked up a chick in the game, after the fade to black that indicates you’ve done the nasty, she just collapsed on the floor to indicate exhaustion. Using an animation so similar to the regular death animation that I thought I had killed her.

Had the exertion worn her out to the point of death? Was my character a closet S&M freak and had he pushed it a little too far? Did he have an STD that killed within seconds? I was completely confused, but my immediate reaction (“OH SHIT! I KILLED A HOOKER!”) makes me laugh to this day.

It’s on one of the extended DVD special feature discs.

Man, I’m sure I could come up with several. I can’t think of any right now, but I must keep trying because this thread’s so great.

I don’t know if it was unintentionally funny — because I suspect Bungie put this feature in knowing the consequences — but the “beserker” aliens in Marathon were often hilarious. There were two classes of aliens that would, when they’d been hit enough times, turn on anyone and everyone in sight, including their comrades. They would run and attack at a faster rate as well, like a comically sped-up Charlie Chaplin film. I particularly loved the aliens with machine guns and grenade launchers, for sheer entertainment value.

(Gosh I miss those guys. Sniff As far as I’m concerned they should be in every video game. Even chess games.)

This feature of Marathon provided a handy tactic in getting through some levels, though you couldn’t always count on it working. If you could wound these aliens enough times to “beserk” them, but not kill them, they would run around doing much of your dirty work for you. Sometimes though they would just fixate on you right away, which was no good. Sometimes they would start attacking a large “hulk” alien — which unfortunately for them was a badly mismatched fight — and get instantly swatted to death. Sometimes they would kill just a few nearby comrades, then run off and go sulk in a corridor somewhere, where you’d discover them by surprise later on. And that could be a rude surprise.

Another fun quirk of the Grenade Boys is that they were none too bright about obstacles. It was possible to get an alien on the other side of a door, with you close enough to control the door, but far enough away that the alien would favor his grenade launcher (as opposed to his machine gun, which he’d use at close range). If you could manage to arrange this, then the following little slapstick comedy sketch would play out:

[ol]
[li]Alien triggers the door. Door begins sliding open vertically.[/li][li]Alien now thinks he’s got a clear path to hit you, although the door isn’t all the way open yet.[/li][li]Alien fires a grenade at you. Grenade hits the door surface right in front of him, exploding and wounding him. (The door takes no damage; it and the walls are invincible.)[/li][li]You trigger the door to close.[/li][li]Loop and repeat until the poor little maroon has killed himself.[/li][/ol]

Ah, good times.

You get some humorous comments from the announcers in sports games. I was ecently playing Madden 2006 against the weakest team available and was crushing 120-0. JOhn Madden decides to intone, when the opposition has the ball, “There’s no need to panic, stick top the game plan and establish the run.”

In Knights of the Old Republic, there’s a side-quest on Dantoonie where you need to help resolve the differences between two families. At the end of the quest, all of the major players in the quest meet and start shouting each others names, repeatdly. Reminded me of the scene in “Rocky Horror Picture Show” when they’re doing the same thing “Brad! Janet! Frank! Rocky! Doctor Scott! Rocky! Janet! Brad!”

In one of the last missions of TIE FIGHTER, I got a wierd bug where I was supposed to protect an installation from an Attack by Zaarin. Part of the way through the mission, Thrawn(your commander) has his ship heavily damaged and he and his officers abandon it in two shuttles. Eventually, All the enemy fighters are gone but nothing is happening. Zaarin’s Star Destoryer is just sitting there, And the two shuttles are flying around in circles near the installation, like they want to dock, but then decide not to. Eventually Zaarin’s Star Destoryer Docks with the installation, and then sits there. Very bizaare.

I played it again, and it worked the way it was supposed to that time.

In Call of Duty, one time I was in front of the Reichstags Plaza during the final mission, and the T-34’s showed up. I went up in front of one, wondering if it would stop or avoid running over me. It turns out they don’t. Imagine how I felt after that.

That’s a bit of a UL: according to my brother, who used to write game software for a living, the computer “soldiers” were set to respond realistically to any opponent within their range, which I think was determined by a hexagon: the ones who ran away weren’t exhibiting AI cowardice, they simply had no-one within their combat range to respond to, and simply blundered off of their own accord: the further they blundered, the further they got from any Orcs to fight, and so one they went. They weren’t demonstrating AI, but AS.

Deus Ex: I had just managed to disable one of those gigantic security robots using an EMP grenade tossed through a doorway, when along comes a friendly mechanic, shooting at the robot with a pistol. Under normal circumstances a pistol is useless next to a security bot, but this was a persistant mechanic against a bot that wasn’t shooting back. The mechanic would fire off six shots, reload, and continue shooting. Over and over again. I just stood back and watched. Guy must’ve kept firing for fifteen minutes or so, until he was finally able to destroy the robot.

Sadly, the mechanic was killed in the resulting explosion.