Universal health care and PI lawuits

What would be the effect?

I think that once juries know that everyone’s health care is taken care of, the plaintiffs’ bar will go into the doldrums because all they’ll have left is pain and suffering*.

Would there be an effect? How would it work?

Flipshod

*Of course, P&S goes a long way when it is appropriate, but the run of the mill case is mostly medicals.

Before anyone can answer this question with any kind of assurance you’ll have to define “universal health care.” There are a number of proposed plans, claiming to meet that goal, for the US, but none of the ones I’ve looked at actually go so far as to replace the current health care “system” with a single payer system similar to the UK’s UHS. Unless the medical practitioners are actually working directly for the gov’t (such as is the case with the VA) the inability to sue for redress that you’re assuming just isn’t there. And even there, it’s possible in cases of particularly gross negligence to sue anyways.

I haven’t followed the case all that closely, but the last I heard the families of veterans killed by Michael Swango during his time at the Northport VA clinic were considering a lawsuit against SUNY Stony Brook and the VA, because the case was so egregious. Even though it was the sort of government facility and program that is normally immune from such suits. I don’t know whether such a suit was filed, nor whether the suit if filed was allowed to go on, but a lot of people at the time were talking about how it was not the forlorn hope that suits at the government usually are.

Are you sure? My sense is that a lot of these cases involve disability and/or disfigurement.

Please show me where any universal health care system involves doctors who never make a mistake or are negligent. When you do that maybe then your premise can be discussed.