Universe Question

I am not sure how to phrase the question but I will do my best.

Just as people of earth experience time based on our solar sytem are there any indications at that any kind of seasonal or daily light may be entering our solar system. A day might be 300 years long for instance or even longer. If it was happening at long intervals like that and was very faint would science even dedect it??

Huh?
Days are based on the placement of he sun and the rotation of the earth. If we lived in a solar system with multiple stars several of which are bright enough to show a disk, day lengths could get complicated. (Not sure if such a place would be habitable.) I doubt any light from outside the system would be bright enough to make a difference.

But I admit I might be totally misunderstanding your question.

I didn’t phrase it right. Is their anything at present that might indicate that our universe is part of a solar system of some kind. If we were would it even be detectable?

That would be a galaxy.

If you mean is the whole universe revolving around a ginormous megasun, then the current answer is no-nothing indicates that such a thing may be possible, let alone true.

Unless you consider the black hole at the center of the galaxy, but that is more of an anti-sun.

They did think of that.

The black of space is just as black no matter which direction you look.
Also, they look at the stars, and check the spectrum, and find the stars of the same type have the same spectrum, (as in, the main stream stars are main stream ! there’s no hot spots around the galaxy that are just all hot for no reason, and stuff like that.)

They checked the sprectrum and can see blue shift is the same amount for stars at the same distance. The further away the more blue shift… So by that they can say that the visible universe is expanding. This does not say much about what is beyond what we can see , of course. What this also means is that the spectrums are quite predictable and that means that there’s no “red stars over this way” and “yellow ones over here”. there’s no variations that make one side of the universe different to the other side.
Furthermore, the early observations of the
Cosmic microwave background (see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background )

suggested it was very much uniform, and they checked it out really really carefully

and there are minor variations… its not much and this radiation is really really old, which means that it came from a long way away… or something

Its not much, but it suggests that there are is a slight distortion , the universe (or that part which creates the microwave background) does have some shape to it… more over here there over … some slight pattern like that.

What I mean is that they definitely did and do look for tiny variations as best they can, and tools like spectrum analysis should show them up… But no, nothing apart from stars, galaxies, nebulae … and its a puzzle because they do have more matter and energy… hence the term dark matter and dark energy… they think they should see it , but they cannot. so it must be dark … Or doesn’t exist. one or the other.

That would qualify, how long does it take us to orbit it?

That would allow me to readjust the question. Does our current position in the galaxy have any detectable affect on earth? For instance 200,000.000 years from now our position causes gravity to be slightly different or we have more volcanic eruptions etc.

Surprised you have never heard about The Great Attractor. We apparently are being drawn toward this whatever it is, not orbiting it per se, but seems to fit what the OP is yammering on about…

There is some evidence that suggests the Sun’s position in the galaxy can affect life on Earth; not due to its circular position, but due to its “vertical” position. As the Sun circles the galaxy, it also bobs up and down through the main disk over millions of years. It is suggested that when the Sun is closer to the middle of the disk that it is more likely to interact with other nearby stars, which sends Oort cloud objects into the solar system and causes mass extinctions on Earth.

It takes about 240 million years for the Sun to circle the Milky way. The Sun also bobs up and down relative to the plane of the Milky Way about every 90 million years.

The solar system is located in the “galactic habitable zone” that is neither too close to the galactic center (waaay too much radiation and high stellar density) nor too far away (too little metals to form rocky planets). So yes, the position of the solar system, in particular its distance from the galactic center, does have a measurable effect on life on Earth, in the sense that there would be no life if we were too close or too far away.

Since the solar system is currently in the habitable zone, and been here for billions of years, it is not going to get any farther out or closer to the core. Since the entire galaxy rotates, it is unlikely we will eventually move into a more hostile environment for life. We have done about 20 galactic revolutions already, IIRC, and life thrives.

Local variations in gravity as we circle the galaxy are likely to be undetectable, IMO.

This reminds me of a classic story called “Finis” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finis_(short_story)) by Frank L. Pollack.

Quote from the story

"Professor Bernier did not believe that the universe was infinite. Somewhere, he argued, the universe must have a centre, which is the pivot for its revolution.

The moon revolves around the earth, the planetary system revolves about the sun, the solar system revolves about one of the fixed stars, and this whole system in its turn undoubtedly revolve around some more distant point. But this sort of progression must definitely stop somewhere.

Somewhere there must be a central sun, a vast incandescent body which does not move at all. And as a sun is always larger and hotter than its satellites, therefore the body at the centre of the universe must be of an immensity and temperature beyond anything known or imagined.

It was objected that this hypothetical body should then be large enough to be visible from the earth, and Professor Bernier replied that some day it undoubtedly would be visible. Its light had simply not yet had time to reach the earth."

Some great answers, thank You!

I got a kick out of that, I can relate. My brain cannot imagine anything without a nucleus. My brain creates a picture of a flat universe that rotates around a very cold, very dense planet of swirling whitish blue gases that flow like a liquid. Hard to explain but it is extremely comforting to think about even though it is extremely cold. It appears very soft, stable and perfectly organized when viwed from a distance.