UnixGeeks: an X Window Client/Server Question from a Mac X user

I’m in an X Darwin environment and I’m using ssh -x to connect to a Linux box down the hall. I’m authenticated, the command prompt shows me as myname@linuxbox and all that. I created a directory from the command prompt and then displayed it with ls. I’m in.

I want a full GUI connection.

I type DISPLAY=my.ip.add.ress:0 &

It kind of nods and reports back with a number in brackets e.g.,
[1696] or [1697] or [1711] or [1719]
when I do that or try variants. Usually if I try a variant (entering my computer’s name as computername.wins.ourdomain.com, or redirecting input to :1 instead of :0, etc) it says "Done " followed by previous DISPLAY params. What it doesn’t do is create a display window and/or take over my screen with the GUI of the Linux box down the hall.

I run xhosts and instruct my own machine to be nice and accept stuff from the IP address of the Linux box and it reports that it has added it.

Repeat previous steps. Still no GUI.

:confused:

What shell are you using on your Linux box? I don’t know bash, but if you’re using csh or tcsh, then you have incorrect syntax for setting your DISPLAY variable.

try:

setenv DISPLAY [your ip address]:0.0

Don’t use the & – that instructs the shell to run the command in the background.

It was bash, and it turns out that the syntax is:

export DISPLAY [myipaddress]:0.0 which works fine.

I just ran a Linux-only app in an XWindow, which is pretty cool.

Hello SDMB! Posted using a Linux browser called “Konqueror” which is running on the PC next door. I’m logged in and running it from my Mac! (Konqueror is also a really nice file browser. I can use it to find and select the remote programs I want to launch instead of mucking around on bloody command lines).

Hello SDMB! Posted using a Linux browser called “Konqueror” which is running on the PC next door. I’m logged in and running it from my Mac! (Konqueror is also a really nice file browser. I can use it to find and select the remote programs I want to launch instead of mucking around on bloody command lines).

And the hamsters work equally well for Linux browsers, too!