Unrealistic expectations or just like to bitch?

Quite often.

In fact, I’m quite often enjoying the show I’m critiquing.

Well put- that’s my thinking too. And I couldn’t figure out if they’re just unrealistic, or they just enjoy the kvetching about things, even stuff they actually enjoy.

I mean, I get that- I know how identifying the places something went wrong is a stepstone to imagining how it could be even better. It’s like griping that your ice cream wasn’t at the ideal temperature; it’s still good, you still enjoy it a lot, but it could have been a little bit more or less firm for maximum enjoyment.

I just wondered because it has seemed like in every science fiction movie/tv thread or things like food threads, there are people out there who seemingly like to just gripe about these things in a strange fashion.

To use my earlier example, hearing someone gripe about the uneven plotting and acting of *The Orville *, seems about like hearing someone give a serious restaurant review style critique of a baseball stadium hot dog. Makes me scratch my head- what were you expecting? Of course it’s going to fall short. Just sit down, have a swig of beer, and enjoy your hot dog. It seems absurd that you’re talking about how the relish is too sweet, or the mustard is not vinegary enough when it’s a ball park hot dog.

Likewise. But if you’re going to assume that everyone in a thread criticizing it is all worked up, then you’re going to wonder why people get so mad. When the answer is “they mostly don’t”

You still just don’t get it. I was very familiar with (and thought of bringing up) the Ebert system of judging movies. We aren’t judging The Orville against Shakespeare, we are judging *The Orville *against The Orville. Some episodes are better than others. Maybe you are fine with if every once in a while your hot dog vendor forgoes the chili, drops his pants, and shits on it instead. Maybe you are happy to swill it down without complaint and say “Thank you Sir, may I have another?” But some of us are willing to say “You know, I usually like these hot dogs, but this tastes like shit!”

Feel free to hork down whatever swill is put in front of you–the supply is plentiful.

Fair enough, and it may be some sort of recollection bias, but I mostly recall bitching from most of the threads about The Orville. Even in the parts where it’s acknowledged that an episode was good, there’s still nitpickery and griping.

It reminds me a lot of the way some managerial types feel like they have to say something negative on reviews about their subordinates so they have room to improve, even when that person is kicking ass and taking names in pretty much every way. It’s like if they don’t gripe about something, they’re not doing their due diligence.

Sorry to bump, but I think pointing out some irony might help the OP understand.

You got rather worked up over something that is rather small: how other people enjoy discussing their fiction. You got quite passionate to the point that some of what you say comes off as somewhat insulting. You fully engaged with this topic.

Well, that’s how some people handle their fiction. It’s not that they are extremely upset. It’s not that they feel a need to come up with something to complain about. It’s that they chose to fully engage.

There are upsides and downsides. Fully engaging means that you get more out of it, but it also means that flaws matter more. Simply engaging like a warmed up hotdog will keep you from caring about the lows, but it will also mute the highs.

I don’t notice any difference, as long as you are actually among the actual fans of a fictional work. If you notice a difference, it may be that being a full on fan is more accepted in society now, and there’s a lot more good television that people engage with.

But, ultimately, we’re all geeks and nerds on this board, and that’s just what we do. We passionately engage with our hobbies and entertainment. You just aren’t into the Orville as much as Darren is.

After all, the more you like something, the more critical you are when it doesn’t live up to expectations.

This is exactly why I think it sucks. It does neither science fiction nor comedy well enough to hold my interest. But I’m an outlier since the show has continued.