Unusual book on your shelf

What book do you have in your collection that none of the other Dopers have? For example, I have a copy of The Complete Plays of W.S. Gilbert (most of which were put to music by Arthur Sullivan). I’ll bet no one else has that one, right? (And save your jokes about show tunes.)

A History of the Breast, by Marylin Yalom. Crud, I’ve got a lot, unless there are other Dopers out there who are into typography, design, or erotic art. And does anyone else have an OED?

“Eppur, si muove!” - Galileo Galilei

The only book I have that i dont think anyone else here would have is:

Chinese Characters: Their origin, etymology, history, classification, and signification

by Dr. L. Wieger, S.J

I bought it because it has the seal forms of the characters :slight_smile: (Not all, but mostly for the “Primitives”. I also find it interesting (Gives some insight as to why a certain character has this or that element).

I have the Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces. An ex-boyfriend of mine picked it up for me at a yard sale, for a buck, along with a beat-up bookcase (which is what he was actually looking for). A friend of his who was with him asked him why he was buying that “weird book.” My boyfriend replied, “because she’ll read it.” And I have. Three times. :slight_smile:

I have the OED - compact (i.e. magnifying glass) edition. My dad has the complete Gilbert & Sullivan.

Cristi—

I have two editions of * The Northon Anthology of World Masterpieces * (the fifth and sixth editions). My wife and I never sold back our college textbooks, they’re just part of our library.

“…send lawyers, guns, and money…”

Warren Zevon

At a garage sale, I bought a book printed more than 100 years ago titled ‘‘In Tune with the Infinite.’’
I have a 1970s edition of ‘‘The Urantia Book.’’
I also have an anthology of Mongolian short stories printed in Ulaan Baatar before Mongolia became a democracy.

Gaudy, you can’t be too suprised that a bunch of us are into erotic art. I’ve got a bucnh of books on my shelves about it, issues that go back about 2 years. Well maybe we have different definitions of art

I’ve got Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein, not that rare, but it is an original print given to me at birth.

HUSTLER, PLAYBOY, GENT, SWANK, JUGGS… do these qualify? :wink:

I think I’ve got about 4 full sets of the works of Sir Walter Scott laying around. I did my senior (high school) paper on him and whenever I found an old cheap set at a used book store, or even a partial set, I would pick it up.

I’ve got most of the Dave Dawson series, printed during WWII. Also the Power Plant Series, from the 20’s, about steam engines, boilers, etc.

I have an autographed copy of the book Socko!, subtitled, Every Riddle Your Feet Will Ever Need, by Stephen Manes.

An extract:
What do London policement wear to keep their toes warm? Bobby socks

Where do elite feet do their shopping? Socks Fifth Avenue

What kind of socks save burning buildings? Fire hose

… well, it goes on.

I have a whopping big copy of the anonymous fifteenth-century Prose Merlin, sent to me by one of my former professors, who edited it. Bet nobody else has that!

Food in History by Reay Tannahill; a study of food and cooking and their impact on the course of history.
Beyond Boardwalk and Park Place by Gunther and Hutton; a proposal of additional rules that overcome Monopoly’s weaknesses.
Cartoons Even We Wouldn’t Dare Print, Naional Lampoon collection

Wisconsin Death Trip by Michael Lesy – newspaper stories from the turn of the century – moral of the book? we’ve always been a sick society

Actually, since I’ve purchased three copies of this to replace loaners that didn’t come back, there could be at least two more out there.

Terry McMillan: The Unauthorized Biography by Diane Patrick.

I’m pretty sure I’m the only one here with this book because I’m not even sure it’s out yet (or if so, just barely). :slight_smile: I received a preview copy from St. Martin’s Press because I recently asked for a preview copy of their unauthorized biography on Dr. Laura. I guess they figured I’d want to review this one as well. They were wrong. It’s only on my shelves 'cus I haven’t figured out what to do with it yet.

Found a few more from tiny publishers that I’m bettin’ nobody else has:

The Right Way to Do Wrong: An Expose’ by Harry Houdini
Keeping Carnies Honest: A Police Officer’s Field Guide to Carnival Game Inspections by Lindsay Smith & Bruce Walstad
Gypsy Talk: Law Enforcement’s Guide to the Secret Language of the American Gypsy by Dennis M. Marlock
The Change Raisers by W.M. Tucker
Sting Shift: The Street-Smart Cop’s Handbook of Cons and Swindles by Lindsay Smith & Bruce Walstad
20 Years a Fakir by S. James Weldon
Crooks, Con Men and Cheat by Eugene Villiod

“A Black Theology of Liberation” - James Cone read during an early phase of my fascination with African American culture.

“With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.” - Rhett Butler

I got two cool ones:

1001 dirty/vulgur/erotic/gross limericks

and The Home Physician, a medical book for families dated around 1880. It’s very cool to just read about all these hidious remedies. Talk about the cure being worse than the desease!

The 13 Clocks by James Thurber. Most excellent.

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: http://fathom.org/teemingmillions