Unusual book on your shelf

Daniel, I also have Bored of the Rings (never actually read it, mind you, but I’ve got it). I was going to list that one, but figured somebody else here would have it. Looks like I was right. :slight_smile:

I highly recommend the Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, but the all-out weirdest book on my shelves is a surprisingly dry, scholarly tome with the irresistible title, Sex Songs of the Ancient Letts.

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef

Okay, the books I’m pretty sure no one else has:
Dawn Song, Sharon Green
Agent of Change and Conflict of Honors, Steve Miller & Sharon Lee
The Dictionary of Film Quotations
The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft
Dream Park, Larry Nivens and Steven Barnes
From Beginning to End, The Rituals of Our Lives, Robert Fulghum
Distant Friends, Timothy Zahn
Blood River Down, Lionel Fenn
World-Building
The Man Who Invented Saturday Morning, David Owen

That’s not even close to half of them, just a few books grabbed at random.

Sorry Kat but I’ve got the Encyclopedia of Witches and Withcraft in the back of my closet somewhere from when I was in college.

A couple weeks ago I picked up A Traveler’s Guide To Western Great Lakes Lighthouses while I was visiting the Sodus Bay lighthouse, up around Rochester.

After taking a look at my bookshelves, I’ve got a rather large collection of trade books (3 editions of the Fire Protection Handbook, the 1997 edition of the National Fire Codes, all sorts of other fire books), and sitting, mixed in with all of them, are Richard Scarry’s “Cars and Trucks and Things that Go” and “Busy, Busy World.”

Jeremy…

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man’s humanity to man than a fire engine - Kurt Vonnegut

See, now is the time that I need to have a computer at home! I can’t look at my book shelves whilst I’m at work. Here’s some off the top of my head:

1. The Tale of Genji by Lady Murasaki
  2. Preparing and Using Dried Foods

Why these are the only two that I can think of, I’ll never know!

Auntie Pam, I have Wisconsin Death Trip, too–isn’t it wonderful? Great for late-night browing when you can’t sleep.

Anyone else have a complete set of The Moving Picture Girl series by Laura Lee Hope? It’s a set of girls’ books from the 1910s about a pair of sisters acting in the Photo-Plays.

OK, Here goes a first post:
“On Killing”
“Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms Ballistics & Forensic Techniques”
Unless of course someone reading this is an ER doctor or a forensic pathologist but wouldn’t that count as a technical manual for them? By the way, EnigmaOne (not to be too critical my first time out) but from your comment about Caliber Press, I think that Street Survival would count as job related for you and Blue Pony, wouldn’t it? Just guessing, but I have that along with Patrol Tactics sitting on my shelf at work.

The History of Hellenism - a nice weighty tome i picked up at a sharp discount while walking around a Barnes and Noble.

Other odd titles you folks may not have:

The Mind of Adolf Hitler (a psychological treatment)
Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology
Windows NT Network Adminstration Training Resource Kit.

To deal with men by force is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion.

What a fun game. I wanna play!

_________, I have __________.
Opal, …The 13 Clocks (and several other Thurber books).
Tengu and
Popokis5, …Dictionary of Imaginary Places.
TennHippie, …Encyclopedia of Bad Taste (and most of Jane and Michael Stern’s other books).
DavidB, …Hystories.
Daniel p Bostaph,…Bride of the Rat God.
rjk,…Many Pogo collections.

I also have (for starters) a fat stack of old Whitman Teen Novels, including The Charmed Circle, and True to You.
A signed copy of Vagabond’s House by Don Blanding.
Both Daddy-long-legs (with photos from the movie starring Janet Gaynor) AND the sequel, Dear Enemy.
Coffee, Tea or Me?.
The Boy Who Looked like Shirley Temple.

Jess

Full of 'satiable curtiosity

Sorry, Kat, but I definitely have Dream Park…do you have the sequel? The title escapes me right now, but it’s almost as good.

I also have “The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste”–wonderful!

I’m at work, so I can’t peruse the shelves right now; but here are a few from memory:

“Great Medical Disasters”
“Political Cliches”
“The Robber Barons”
“The Extraordinary Madness of Crowds and Popular Delusions” (or something close to that)
“The Heterodoxy Reader: How to Survive the PC Campus”
I also have a Grant first edition hardback of S. King’s “The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger”
Took me years to find; didn’t want a reprint.

Well just so you can all rest easy tonight…I haven’t even thought about owning any of those books! :wink:

Hmmm…I don’t really have any books that are too strange…
There’s one called ‘Mayan Prophecies’ by someone whos name I forget! or maybe ‘King Con’ by Stephen J Cannell. Yes the producer of ‘The A-Team’.

I was actually expecting more “No, I’ve got that too” posts, but people really have some unique titles! If rjk got specific about which Pogo books he has, I could probably shoot some of those down, but that’s about it.

Here’s an easy one, considering how many musicians we have here:
The Best Fake Book Ever
Fire away!

I, too have:
The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said
The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste

How about these???
Maledicta (the best of)
Winning Through Deception & Bluff
How to Lie With Statistics
How to Shit in the Woods

I bet someone has one of my favorites that is rarely seen…Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins.

David B wrote:

I’ve gotten halfway through Bored of the Rings and then had to stop. It was too silly. Hilarious, but I was laughing too much.

“Hairy toes! I just go wild over hairy toes!”

I have Bored of The Rings, Jitterbug Perfume, and The Ultimate Fake Book.

I’ve not seen anyone mention the Big Book o’ Masonry, or whatever it’s called, but I have a 1957 copy of that.

Also, an old fave that I just recently laid hands on again, The View From Nowhere, The only bar guide you’ll ever want, or need by Jim Atkinson.

Waste
Flick Lives!

GET OUT, I’ve got The View From Nowhere. Good theory on why people go to bars and how to rank them. I think I picked it up as a $ .99 item, that was years ago.

“The Bluejacket’s Manual”
“They Shoot Canoes, Don’t They?”
“The Art of War”
“Smokehouse Bear” and “Lowbush Moose”
“A Book of Five Rings”
“Tulku”
“The Monkey Handlers” (signed by author)
“Cutting Up In The Kitchen”
“Things Fall Apart”

I’m at the office, so:

“Transient Techniques of NMR in Solids” by Gerstein and Dybowski

“Dynamics of Polyacrylates” (etc.; long title) by Funchess

“The Infrared Spectra of Complex Molecules” by Bellamy

Somewhat more mundane:

“The Merck Index, Tenth Edition”

“The Feynmann Lectures on Physics” by Feynmann, Leighton, and Sands

“Structure and Spectra of Molecules” by Richards and Scott