Unusual foods you've recently tried for the first time

I imagine there are parts of the US where kimchi is very much a workaday sort of thing, but in the UK it’s somewhat unusual. I like it; I gather that the South Korean leader has been quoted as saying that when he travels he misses kimchi more than his wife*. I didn’t like it that much.

We’ve been experimenting with Turkish breads - we have a nice new local shop and there’s a great stall on Shoreham Market. My favorite is gözleme, a stuffed unleavened bread. The wiki suggests that it could come stuffed with pretty much anything; the market stall version has spinach, potatoes, cheese and an allium - I would guess leek, maybe onion as well. Doesn’t sound too inspiring, but it’s particularly moreish.

And then there are medlars - an ancient fruit that you have to blet (rot, essentially) before you eat them. I started a thread about them. Once you get over the thing about eating rotten fruit, they’re delicious, like a citrus fig. I bought a tree, and (fingers crossed) should have nice little crop this year (year two).

j

* - he was joking