Up yours, State Farm.

Would it make a difference if the loan was FHA or something like that? I seem to remember my realtor saying that the inspection/appraisal was different on a guv’ment loan due to the fact that they were on the hook for screwing up the inspection/appraisal process.

This might be total bogusness, though.

It’s very difficult to prevail against a home inspection company. Most states don’t even have any type of licensing or requirements for insurance or bonding.

In MN, the only qualification you need to be a home inspector is to call yourself one.

Sorry about your troubles, but suing the home inspector will more than likely be an exercise in futility.

If it’s an FHA loan the inspector has to be FHA approved, FWIW. Ours was not an FHA loan though.

I hate to bring this up, but have you had a mold inspection lately?

And I hate to bring this up, but are you due for a colonoscopy?

This is good advice, especially if you’ve had a leaky roof for the past several months. Additionally, if the plywood is rotting underneath, then you may need to replace that as well.

I’m selling a (currently unoccupied) house, and one of the requirements in my state is that it have a functioning smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector.

My house had neither. The smoke detector was sitting there in the ceiling with the battery pod open–it could hardly have been more obvious. And there was no CO detector.

My buyer’s home inspector managed to miss both of these conditions.

I’ve since replaced the smoke detector and added a CO detector, as I was planning to do anyway, but this did not fill me with regard for home inspectors as a profession.

Nope, had one last November, everything was clear.

IOW, what the frick was the point of your question?

Sorry, I thought it was funny at the time.

This thread is about a homeowner squabbling with an insurance company over storm damage vs. flooding, and issuing then revoking a policy.

When reading your comment about mold I thought it was perfectly good general advice for the homeowner… but a bit off topic to this specific thread. Kinda sorta outa left field. I mean, I see the connection – structure >>> water >>> mold – but still it gave me pause. In the “huh?” kind of way.

BTW it was directed at the OP, not you. I thought as long as we were giving unsolicited advice, albeit perfectly valid, solid, good advice, I chimed in with my own. “Checked for mold?” “Due for a colonoscopy?” “Change the batteries in your smoke detectors recently?” “Car tires inflated to their recommended PSI?”

Sorry, I didn’t really mean anything by it. Just joshin’ around.

What about the neighbors? Are they having similar issues? Is the builder still in business? Seems like the root cause here is either craftsmanship and/or cheap materials.

I don’t think you’re allowed to place paper and shingles on rotting wood, at least in Orange County. Most roofing estimates will include four of five sheets of plywood plus labor, anyway, because they know that even under the best of circumstances, an older Florida roof will have some rot under it. I don’t think it would add that much to the bottom line by redoing all of it.

Good luck.

The house is 25-odd years old. We just got an estimate of $1k or thereabouts for “make it last two years” repairs, and $5k to do the job properly.

We don’t have $5k, at least not after the AC fiasco.

Ivylass - yes, and thank you.

I’ve met Really IRL, so I’m a bit more concerned about possible health issues due to his leaky roof. Sorry I was so prickly…would you care for some gingersnaps? :smiley:

Update: turns out we do have $5k, sorta - the latest contractor (and the most competent-seeming) offers interest-free financing to people of good character like [del]me[/del] my fiancee.