Upgrading to Windows 10--reinstall apps?

I wonder if there will be an ISO to provide for re-installation at a future date.

Check to see if your computer can upgrade to Windows 8 or 10. Some can, some can not, and some you wont’ know until you try it. Best to have a restore disk ready in case the upgrade fails.

If you use a printer/scanner from back when you got Windows 7, check to see if it is fully or just partially compatible with Windows 8 or 10. (Partially compatible means that it will still print, but you will probably lose scanning and other functions.)

This actually concerned me more than I had been previously. That’s Microsoft hardware, and they are having trouble with the driver for your battery? I mean, the Surface tablets should have been amongst the first ones tested.

And, yes, I strongly suspect it is a software problem. The way battery hardware usually fails is different. It just won’t charge up all the way, but will still drain. The way you described your issue, it sounds like the battery still works fine, but Windows can’t detect its charge.