UPS/USPS & Online Retailer Question

I’m sure this must have been asked before, but I can’t find the answer.

I live in a rural area and rely heavily on Amazon, Ebay and other online retailers for many of my purchases. It’s a 45 minute drive into town,even in good weather, and there’s no guarantee the stores are going to have what I am looking for.

Both UPS and USPS send me an email saying that my package is arriving today. When I click on the email I can see where the package is, and where it originated from, but what I really want to know is what’s in the box.

Since Amazon, Ebay and other online retailers initiate the shipment they could easily pass a link to the carrier that shows me which order is arriving. Granted an order may contain multiple items and not all will arrive at the same time, but at least I would have some idea of what the shipment may contain, versus having no clue.

Perhaps there is a good reason not to include the order information in the email I get from UPS/USPS, but I can’t think of what that might be. Any ideas?

Why can’t you just match the tracking number to the one the retailer provided? That’s not the main point of tracking numbers, but it’s one of them.

Correct me if I’m wrong but how would UPS/USPS/FedEx have any idea what you ordered? All they know is they were entrusted to deliver a package, with this tracking number, weighing this much and having these dimensions.

Seems like a good way to let the delivery people know which boxes to steal.

Not really. If there was a link you would have to know my password to see the order in Amazon etc.

UPS doesn’t need to know what I ordered, just the Amazon link so I can click on it and find out.

Yes, I could do that, but why not make it easy for me.

Do you have a smartphone? Download the Amazon app and let it send you notifications. You’ll get tons and tons of tracking notifications about your orders.

If you don’t want to/can’t get the Amazon app, you can get shipping notifications via text.

Ebay has a bunch of notifications you can subscribe to.They probably have similar alerts available via their app.

Thanks. That’s what I was looking for. I’ll try that on my iPhone.

Dude, don’t do it. They will drive you crazy with notifications. Not 3 a day or a few a week, I am talking 2 or 3 an hour. And afterwards many surveys and rate-me emails. It takes an act of Congress to stop it.
Warning, warning Will Robinson!!

That would assume (and I don’t know one way or the other) that UPS and/or USPS has the ability to pass a link through from Amazon to you.

It looks like it was already mentioned, but you might just be better off tracking your packages from Amazon instead of the shipping sites. Go to “my orders” and each one will give you a tracking number, will show you where in the shipping process it happens to be right now and, right on the orders page will often give the current status (ie “Out for Delivery” or “arriving tomorrow”).

This type of thing does happen kind-of in the more traditional wholesale distribution side of the industry.

The parcel carriers like UPS and FedEx have about 6 miscellaneous reference fields that can flow from the shipper, through the carrier’s systems to the receiver/customer system. Typically, when shipping to Nordstrom’s or Macy’s via parcel, they will require that specific values get populated in those carrier ref fields (e.g. po number, or load id).

Online retailers could utilize those same fields, populate an order reference number and request that the carrier include it in their emails as a link.

However, that last bit would probably be a challenge for anyone smaller than Amazon to convince UPS/FedEx/USPS to change their systems to accommodate a shipper supplied hyperlink in the email.

It does send a lot but you don’t have to let your phone make noise or vibrate every time one comes in. Just let it display on the lock screen and you’ll only see the notifications when you look at the phone. It’s really not that intrusive. If you want them to stop, then stop notifications from the app. You can control all of it from the Notification Center…I don’t see what it has to do with surveys.

This is what I do. Also,

This.

I get an email from amazon saying, “your widget his been shipped, here’s the shipping number”. That “number” is a live link. I click on it and see where the package is. When UPS tells me a parcel has been delivered, I usually know what’s in the parcel because Amazon (or ebay, etc.) told me.