US assassinates commanding general of Iran Quds force

Your irony meter must be broken, because criticizing Obama for not following the Constitution is quite literally the hypocrisy that I was criticizing.

I mean, there is literally no more “yep I totally missed the point” response possible than to list your grievances with Obama.

The De-escalation has begun.

The justification was (supposedly) to stop an imminent attack. Apparently an attack is underway. That justification is obviously bullshit, but even if we pretend it’s not, then the assassination failed to accomplish its goal.

And Obama got lots of crap about it many places including on this very site from Democrats, liberals, and progressives:

Just to pick two that I quickly found. Lots of back and forth there, from all sides.

So just so I’m clear here - what’s going on right now is an actual exchange of military strikes between two countries, under color of government authority - right? This is not some bullshit with an ill defined “insurgent” force, this is the official governments of the US and Iran, not just saber rattling, but actually coming to blows? If so, that’s … the first time in a while that such an exchange has occurred, isn’t it? That’s not good. Or did a similar thing happen with the US and Syria last year? Or the year before that, fuck it if I can even remember.

Either way, Iran seems considerably larger and more of a threat than Syria. I’m not feeling good about the prospects here.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

The al-Asad airbase in Iraq, which houses US military personnel is under attack. Reportedly 10 rockets have been launched so far.

And so it begins.

“Tens” of rockets, not ten rockets.

Oh, here’s my very own rant about Obama and the Libyan no-fly zoen:

(Full disclosure, I forgot my promise and ended up voting for Obama)

Trump will probably blame Jimmy Carter.

The report minutes before I posted said “10.” These stories tend to get more accurate as time goes by.

US defense contractors are all having Bacchanalias and more than 1 US site has been attacked

Two bases hit, CNN reporting that Pence had gone to brief congressional leaders.

Y’all know I’m alarmist on this subject, but I’m not making a big deal out of “tens of rockets”. Could be the beginning of something bigger, but I’m not compressing my undergarments just yet.

Well, you, assuming you’re in America, will probably be fine. A lot of people in Iran and Iraq are probably going to die, though, including American troops. Barring some A+ last-minute diplomacy, which…I’ve not exactly come to expect from the current administration. Although if they’re as beholden to Russia as everyone seems to think, maybe Russia will talk some sense into Trump. Or poison him with Ricin, who knows.

Same here. Haven’t Iranian proxies fired thousands of rockets into Israel before, by analogy?

I expect some selective US airstrikes to take out the rocket launchers.

The chyron at MSNBC notes that Iran says a second wave of missiles has been launched.

Might be a good time for Trump to grant that visa to the Iranian foreign minister to the UN that the administration previously denied. (AP)

Looks like the war is on. Iran isn’t using proxies or being indirect as I expected. Rather they are clearly engaging in direct attacks on US bases and troops. Trump is going to lose his shit and start hitting cities in Iran and possible cultural sites.

Buckle up kids, this is going to be a bumpy ride.

The F-22 Raptor, which entered IOC in December 2005, is fourteen years overdue for its first air-to-air kill…

Let’s see how Trump responds. What if he does bomb culturally significant sites?

Trump’s not known for making measured decisions. Or being rational in general.