US border city names

Cal-Nev-Ari in Nevada, out in the desert south of Las Vegas. It’s not quite at the border, but still may count here (altho, “city” is a bit of a stretch).

Colorado City, AZ, is not on the border with Colorado (but is with UT). Does that count?

Just like I said. It’s not a serious comment.

I read it as the OP looking for towns that are portmanteaus of two state names, such as “Texarkana” or “Florala”.

There’s also a Norlina in Warren County, very near the Virginia border, which looks like it was named in that way. But it’s simply an elided form of “North Carolina”.

Illmo, Missouri is an old railroad town just west of the Mississippi River.

Michiana, Michigan and Michiana Shores, Indiana adjoin each other on Lake Michigan.

There’s a book written about these places: Edge Effects by Robert Temple. The guy identifies 80-some border portmanteaus and goes out and visits them. Some are real easy, such as Delmar MD/DE, but some are really obscure, having not existed for decades. A couple were never more than a railroad siding. I recommend the book to anyone interested in such things.

Some time back, I found a similar, but incomplete, list on Wikipedia and began updating it. After many additions and other changes, it’s now a subsection of a much longer list of geographic portmanteaus:

Since US State names are required, I’ll mention Mankota: a portmanteau of Manitoba and Dakota which is naturally located close to the Saskatchewan/Montana border.

Just don’t end up there when you’re trying to go to Mankato, MN.

Don’t know what the OP meant by I doubt it was counting cities with their state name appended to them.

I think it’s pretty clear that this is exactly what the OP was asking for.

It’s not really all that close to the border, at least not as close as these things usually are. It’s a portmanteau of the two areas the people who settled the place came from: Manitoba and North Dakota. A similar name is Mantario SK, a place near Alsask. It’s also named for the places the settlers came from: Manitoba and Ontario.

Somewhat north of Alsask and on the other side of the border is Altario AB, which is a portmanteau of Alberta and Ontario. Not sure exactly why, though, except maybe in imitation of Alsask. At one time it was called Saskalta.

There’s places in the US that are portmanteaus of the settlers’ states of origin: Ohiowa NE; Texmo OK; and Kymo AZ. And there’s a major street in the St Louis area called Delmar Blvd. It originally went between land owned by someone from Delaware and someone from Maryland.

Interestingly enough there is a Texico, Illinois, and it’s just about smack-dab in the middle of the state.

As i was the OP, i wanted city names which combined the names of their border states, which many posters have supplied. I wouldn’t include places like Kansas City in my list…e.g. there are seven states with a “New York” in them.

Yes, but West New York, NJ is named after the state it borders.

I may have found another - the Wikipedia entry for Warren County, North Carolina, which borders Virginia, lists among its communities a Nocava. However, it doesn’t show up in Google, or on Google Maps. Given that Warren is a very rural country, it might be nothing more than a crossroads and stoplight.

I believe that’s Nocarva (note spelling). It seems to be a lakeside community of second homes owned by rich people. With an airstrip in the middle of it. There’s a Nocarva Road that goes to it, but the last time I checked, the Google Streetcar hadn’t gone down it. So I could only view it via satellite pictures. Some of the lots were partly on the Virginia side of the border, but I think all the houses were in NC.

Temple did not have it in his book, but I added it to the Wiki-list (link upthread). We have different standards for what we considered a town, but I thought this place with actual residents was more like a town than many of the places he had in his list.

That was my bad, and I realized that after posting.

There’s a small (unincorporated, I’m sure) town called Latex on the Texas/Louisiana border.

Oh that’s too funny! Here it is on the map —

Used to live in Fort Walton Beach. That’s the correct pronunciation.

Tennga, Georgia