US Dopers: "A for Apple"? "B for Ball"?

I often get on the phone with customer service folks in the US, and when it comes time to spell out my name etc., I end up using a different word each time for the letters in my name. This seems to confuse the people on the other end of the line, especially since I use whatever word comes to my mind with that letter, rather than easy simple words.

So help me learn my ABCs. Is there a standard form? What were you taught in school?

A for Apple? or Alpha? or Airplane? or Azzure? or Anything?

I grew up using the phonetic alphabet. Alpha, bravo, Charlie, etc. Bot of my parents were pilots, and dad was career Navy and then career FAA.

[QUOTE=Johnny L.A.]
I grew up using the phonetic alphabet. Alpha, bravo, Charlie, etc. Bot of my parents were pilots, and dad was career Navy and then career FAA.
[/QUOTE]

The phonetic alphabet? You say that like there’s only one. :smiley: There are lots out there. I listened to a really interesting radio documentary once on the history of them all. But anyway. For the OP, yeah, the smart thing to do would be to learn the most popular one.

… G for Gnu…

… K for Knowing…

… P for Psycho…

… X for, um, Xena…

Any others along these lines? :smiley:

I’ve frequently been told, in customer service, to use common names instead of other nouns. This seems to work pretty well.

[QUOTE=Beltane]
I’ve frequently been told, in customer service, to use common names instead of other nouns. This seems to work pretty well.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would say:

  1. Common (male) first names
  2. Animals
  3. Fruits
  4. Greek alpabet

Apple
Bear
Cat
Delta
Epsilon
Frank
Gary
…

[QUOTE=Johnny L.A.]
I grew up using the phonetic alphabet. Alpha, bravo, Charlie, etc. Bot of my parents were pilots, and dad was career Navy and then career FAA.
[/QUOTE]
I learnt the Alpha Bravo Charlie thing (and semaphore :)) when I was in school, but for some reason the phone people seem to prefer “D for Dave” to “D for Delta”.

[QUOTE=lawoot]
… G for Gnu…

… K for Knowing…

… P for Psycho…

… X for, um, Xena…

Any others along these lines? :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

A for Æon
C for Chthonian
F for Fjord
H for Herb
J for Jung
L for Llama (pronounced “yama”)
P for Pwn
Q for Qur’an
Y for Ygdrasil

[QUOTE=lawoot]
… G for Gnu…

… K for Knowing…

… P for Psycho…

… X for, um, Xena…

Any others along these lines? :smiley:
[/QUOTE]
… J for José
… M for Mnemonic
… W for Wry

My next phone call will be fun :slight_smile: Too bad my name is not PXKJMWG though.

[QUOTE=xash]
… W for Wry
[/QUOTE]

pronounces rye different from wry…

Another phonetic alphabet user chiming in. Hooray for a military background.

Here’s the NATO phonetic alphabet for english:

And from NASA:
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/MAEL/ag/phonetic.htm

I’ve got to say, as a phone monkey I absolutely adore it when people make the effort to use one of the recognised phonetic alphabets to spell something out - especially if they have a very thick accent. Compare

“D for Delta” or “P for Papa”

to this exchange (based on a call I took the other day):

What I heard was “B for Barry”. So to clarify, I repeated it back as “Was that B for Bravo?”. Which earned me “No. No. B for Barry, you know. Like with a sword. Barry.”

Turns out he was saying “P for Parry”

A for 'orses.
B for mutton.
C for miles.
Etc.

[QUOTE=Sage Rat]
A for Æon
C for Chthonian
F for Fjord
H for Herb
J for Jung
L for Llama (pronounced “yama”)
P for Pwn
Q for Qur’an
Y for Ygdrasil
[/QUOTE]

No problem with “herb” in the UK because we pronounce the “h” .

All I know is…
C is for cookie and that’s good enough for me!

Curse you jjimm! :smiley: I wanted to post that…

F as in fnord?

[QUOTE=Sage Rat]
Apple
Bear
Cat
Delta
Epsilon
Frank
Gary
…
[/QUOTE]

And I wish my co-workers would knock this off, at least the Frank. Use Fred, or something. I’m pretty good at zoning out conversations over on the support side until I hear my name.

Co-worker: Blah blah blah blah Frank blah…
Frank: What?

[QUOTE=Smeghead]
The phonetic alphabet? You say that like there’s only one. :smiley: There are lots out there.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was taking a shortcut in my post.