US shows filmed in Vancouver...how does that work for the actors?

And it’s just a coincidence that the logo for Alliance (now Alliance Atlantis) Communications is a pyramid? Ah–from your link:

Thanks for the Youtube link. I caught a few episodes & like that Canadian humor/humour.

And one of the stars is Leah Pinsent–daughter of Gordon Pinsent who appeared as Sgt Bob Fraser in Due South, which featured Callum Keith Rennie as The Second Detective Veccio…

:snort!: I like it.

I was just going to mention Gordon Pinsent, as one of the usual suspects in films made north of the border.

They’re not actually allowed to make a Canadian production without Callum Keith Rennie, are they? Isn’t it included in the CanCon laws somewhere? :slight_smile:

I think they are in the process of amending the law by including Rekha Sharma in it.

More or less! There was a great bit on Kids in the Hall on “How to Become a Canadian Actor” and “become friends with Callum Keith Rennie” was high on the list.

My favourite CKR quote? From Last Night “Would you like a drink? I have . . . drinks.” Was his catch phrase throughout the movie and given the storyline, was really, really sad.

The SciFi sereis “Flash Gordon” was filmed in Vancouver, and although the series had many, many problems, I have to say I had major issues with the Planet Mongo looking like the Pacific Northwest.

When I was a kid, local TV stations re-ran the old Flash Gordon serials constantly.

So I know the scenery is mostly papier mache boulders. That later showed up in “clearings outside of town” on* The Lone Ranger*; newly spray-painted, they appeared on weird planets where Redshirts meant their doom.

And the buildings are Art Deco. (All in Black & White, of course.)

What if an actor has a DUI on his record?

From the Government of Canada’s website in the section ofForeign Travel and International Affairs:

The same page states:

Anecdotally, it seems to sometimes be an issue that will have you turned back at the border, sometimes not an issue, even when it comes to convictions that are 30-plus years old. I seem to remember people commenting on it when George W Bush was president and came to Canada a few times, as he was arrested for DUI in the 70s. But it’s not like it full on stops you from entering the country - I think Hollywood agents and handlers would, in general, be pretty well versed in going through the steps mentioned above to overcome inadmissibility for their clients.

That’s sort of what got me thinking about the topic: someone posted a Stargate photo captured “Did you ever notice how many alien planets look like Vancouver?” :smiley:

Would that just include “Sam” and “Dean” or other Americans in the cast?
Do they need a housekeeper?:smiley:

I’ve always felt that Vancouver was always an odd choice as a major filming center. It has a very, very unique landscape and weather pattern.

It obviously works well for work set in temperate coastal environments and for pieces requiring spooky settings (ala X-Files). But at times it is asked to act as a stand-in for an ‘any-city’ or even more specific locations that have little in common with Vancouver. Romeo Must Die (apparently set in Oakland, filmed in Van) is the most blatant head scratcher that comes immediately to mind with numerous scenes showing the snow-capped peaks in the background. Could be crappy editing, but it can be tough to pass Vancouver off as a substitute for other cities, relative to say, Toronto (Toronto does have it’s own large filming industry).

No, it was just the two of them. They lived together for a few years, but apparently sold the house over the summer, and now live separately, much to the misery of conspiracy theorists in the fandom.

Probably when Jared got married, right?

They both got married, within a couple months of each other. Of course I have no particular insight, but it’s easy to assume that that’s why they moved apart. IMHO, it is actually kind of weird to live with your buddy in a bachelor pad when you’re married, even if your wife isn’t around all the time.