[QUOTE=Princhester]
Or, to use your example, if a US Customs official said, speaking of Iranian-American tourists, “we treat them like Iranian-Americans not Americans. We basically treat them as second-class citizens” you would not see that as a remarkably frank admission as to how America treats Iranian Americans?
[/QUOTE]
First of all, I don’t see an admission, I see an accusation - by an unnamed State Dept. beaurocrat. It’s not even an official State Dept. statement.
I could simply rephrase your headline to"Some American talks out of his ass," and bow out of this thread, but I’ll stick around a bit.
[QUOTE=Princhester]
To expand, this is total bollocks. For you to be able to say this, the official would have to have said something like:
*“They are being treated [like everyone else] and not Americans,” one senior official said. “They basically treat them as second-class citizens.”
The reference to “Arabs” is pointed, and no amount of burying your head is going to change that.
[/quote]
Could you phrase that without brackets? Here, let me try:
“They are being treated like everyone else, and not like Americans,”
If he had said that, he would have come off sounding like an asshole. So instead, he said “Arabs”, because a) they were Arabs and b) because it makes for a better sentance.
Now, as for “They basically treat them as second-class citizens,” that makes absolutely no sense. They aren’t citizens - not Israeli citizens - so how could they be treated as second-class citizens? I meaqn, second class to what? To regular American citizens? If someone comes up to you with two passports, and one of them indicates a possible security risk, then you apply harsher standards… even if the other passport was issued by the U.S. It’s basically good policy.
Anyway, That’s all besides the point. Maybe the State Dept. flack meant to say exactly what you think he was saying, and wasn’t just an idiot with poor phrasing abilities. What of it?
I mean, is the U.S. Government suddenly considered a shrewed judge of reality?