Using an external keyboard on laptop

I have an HP ze5170 notebook computer that I’d like to use an external keyboard for. I got a standard $15 keyboard and plugged it into the PS/2 port. All was good for a few minutes, then the keys stopped registering, and it didn’t work at all. Unplugging and plugging back in and rebooting had the same effect.

It worked for just a few minutes, but the shift keys didn’t work nor did the number pad. I’m not sure if I need to install a driver for it or what. Is there a way to disable the built-in keyboard?

Suggestions?

Should work seamlessly. Sounds like a crappy, defective keyboard. Get a nicer USB model brand name keyboard for $ 20-$30 like Logitech or Microsoft or better yet a nice wireless.

Electronic items most often fail when they’re first used or after a long life. Immediate failure in a simple thing like a keyboard is unusual, but not unheard of. If it turns out to be the PS2 port just use your USB port.

Power the laptop off entirely. Then plug the keyboard in and start up as normal. If it still fails, it is likely the PS2 port is now faulty, as generally speaking it’s not adviseable to plug stuff in while the machine is up.

I had a similar problem with a cheapo no-name USB keyboard I bought to use with my Dell laptop. It would type characters that I definitely hadn’t (numbers for letters, for example) and would mysteriously invoke some kind of instant shutdown hotkey combo that refused to let me save anything first. Nice. I threw the piece of $#!+ out and shelled out for a Microsoft Office Keyboard. No more troubles.