"Using the bathroom" to mean the act, not the place: List strained euphemisms here!

I hope I never end up next to *you *at the urinal then :slight_smile:

Does anyone still say “I’m going to see a man about a mule” ?
The other day at work, one of my colleagues was reading an assessment test in which the student had written that he was going to college so that he could “produce a meaning” in his life. Said colleague got up after a while and announced that he was leaving briefly and going to “produce a meaning.”
Well, okay, that second one only made sense in a certain context…

I always heard that as “see a man about a dog” something my father often said but I haven’t heard it since I was a kid.

I’ve actually heard it several times as “see a man about a horse”

There’s a scouse (Liverpudlian) expression “Show him your arse” which my scouse step-grandfather told me when I was complaining about my boss.

I can’t remember it’s meaning.

Well, because that’s how much it cost. Ya Brits are the ones who invented the pay toilet :mad: :smiley:

I kind of appreciate the fact that over here you say “toilet”…and don’t call something that has no bath a bathroom. That said, I don’t see much wrong with “using the rest room”. Better than “I have to wet” after all.

I think it may mean to resign: to ‘get the arse’ at work means to get fired.

Bit of Aussie slang for ya!

I guess that’d be better than ‘dying in the arse’.

I sat in when the arrangements were made for VunderWife’s grandmother. The undertaker was serious old school, and used language like this. To really rub it in, whenever used a euphemism, he’d really drag it out: “MMMMuuuuuthththththeeeerrrrr” or “paaaassssed aaawwwwaaaayyy”. That really pisses me off.

When it came time to make the arrangments for my mom, the undertaker in that case was considerably younger and hipper (different operation and town, too). The first thing out of my mouth after we sat down was, “She’s ‘Mom’, and she’s dead, not passed on or any other crap.” My sister was a bit shocked.

He didn’t bat an eye, said “Gotcha”, and the rest of the time went as well as could be expected under the circumstances.

I ask for directions to the whizzatorium…

When I was VERY young, my grandmother called on the phone and asked to speak to my mother. I told her, “She can’t come to the phone, she’s on the toilet.”

Granny said, “Don’t say that. Say ‘she’s indisposed.’”

And that’s how we learn to use euphemisms.

NICE.

I’ve made my feelings on the expression “passed” (“I was so sorry to hear your father passed”) known before. To recap, it wasn’t the fucking SATs, it was glioblastoma multiforme.

I’ve always been fond of, “excuse me I need to use the euphemism” and “excuse me, I need to go euphemism.” Why, yes, I did grow up in a strange family, why do you ask? :smiley:

Somebody’s parents referred to the genitalia as your “mustn’t-touch”. That just cracks me up.

Bleagh. This strikes me as more crass than saying “I gotta pee.” (A phrase which, frankly, I don’t have a problem with.) “I have to wet”? Wet what? Your pants? The toilet seat? The floor? Every other use of “wet” that I’ve seen referring to urine means something was peed on that shouldn’t have been, so what are you wetting?
Nasty mental imagery from this woman here.

That reminds me of an Oscar Wilde quote:

“*To lose one husband may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness. *”

We should tell it like it is.
I’m just off to sit while poo slowly emerges from my bum.

Surely my family isn’t the only one that talks about going to “the library” or “the reading room”?

Hm. When I stop to think about it, almost all the phrases we use for urinating and defecating are euphemisms. Of course, no one is really “bathing” when they say they need to “go to the bathroom,” and it’s not exactly “resting.”

It may sound more honest when someone says they need to use “the toilet,” since (in the U.S., anyway) we associate that term specifically with the porcelain bowl upon which we sit when we perform these bodily functions.

However, even the term “toilet” is a euphemism–it literally means a “little towel,” and, not a towel you wiped your butt with. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term was originally used in reference to a cloth bag one would wrap clothes in, and to a towel one would wear over the shoulders while dressing one’s hair. The term eventually expanded to mean “dressing up” in general, and to the various objects that play a role in this act. Thus, we have many classical paintings of “Venus at her Toilet,” in which she’s getting ready to put on a gown and her jewellery.

Only recently in history (mainly in the 20th century) did “toilet” come to mean a “bathroom” or, more specifically, the toilet bowl itself. However, almost no one today would think of it as a euphemism anymore, since its original associative meaning has been largely forgotten (assisted in part, no doubt, by its non-English origins–it’s harder to forget the “normal” meanings for words like bathing and resting).

So, if this thread existed in the nineteenth century, we’d have posters noting how you’re not really at your toilet (i.e., dressing up) when you’re on the toilet (bowl/chair/thingy).

After many semesters of explaining to my art history students that “Venus at her toilet” doesn’t mean what they think it means, I’ve gone through this discussion too many times–so please pardon my pedanticism.

Anyway.

As for other euphemisms, what about saying “ladies room” or “gents”? Those have always amused me–I like how they completely eradicate any reference to the room’s function, as though even a euphemistic verb is too vulgar for polite society.