USMC and Navy

Hello all, I recently enlisted in the USMC, and I am trying to learn as much as I can about it b4 I go in. Anyway, all the stuff I have found on the internet just seems to be aimed at getting me to enlist. The main two questions I have are

1. Why was the Marine Corps formed? All I have been able to find about this is that it was formed during the Revolutionary War as an elite fighting force, but nothing else is mentioned as to why the Corps was formed.

2. What exactly is the relationship between the Marine Corps and the Navy? According to my grandfather, who was in the Navy, every ship in the Navy has a detatchment of Marines aboard. But what exactly is their purpose?

1. The original purpose of the Marines was to provide a fighting force for hand-to-hand combat between ships. This may have involved sharpshooting as well.

2. Both the U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Navy make up the Department of the Navy, headed by the Secretary of the Navy. The Commandant of the Marine Corps, and Chief of Naval Operations (4-star military officers) each report to SecNav (a civilian).

3. Not all ships include Marines, at least if you include submarines.

4. Today the Marine Corps is indeed an elite fighting force that focuses on amphibious assault. Ships that do have small contingents of Marines have them for a security force, I believe. Other ships, such as the amphibous assault ships, have quite large contingents of Marines assigned to them.

5. Good luck in the USMC!

Also, IIRC, Marines are the only force that the Pres. of USA has direct control over, that is without the consent of Congress (thank you very much War Powers Act), but for only 30 days or so.

I’m sure you will learn all the Marine Corp history you need once you get there. And as a “wannbe” I tip my hat to you and wish you the best. It will suck, you will doubt yourself everyday, and you’ll hate most every moment, but when all is said is done you WILL be different.

Good Luck!!!

The President has direct control over every armed force, including the Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force, and, during war time, the Coast Guard. He does not need congressional approval to do anything, but he does need congressional approval to keep troops abroad for longer than 30 days, due to the War Powers Act. The WPA is a good thing; it prevents us from having another Vietnam; if people do not support the war, the troops will be voted home.

I knew the WPA was in there somewhere, but I thought it was special for the Marines. My memory fails me now, but I thought Beirut in the 80’s was a case where it came to head.

Please don’t let this take away from the OP though. My man sirkle has made a brave choice ( a choice I wish I had made) and again I wish him the best. Sirkle, go rent “Full Metal Jacket”. Great Marine flick. Unless you’re Pile of course! :wink:

In the early days of the Navy, sailors were often “impressed” into service involuntarily. Conditions for sailors in those days were tough and they were likely to be flogged for infractions (see Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana). A lot of sailors did not want to be there. This made mutiny an all-too-real occupational hazard for naval officers.

That is why the Marines were placed aboard every ship: to guard the officers from mutiny of the sailors. The Marine Corps was formed out of the need for a force whose loyalty was unquestionable and loyal only to the commander. For the same reason, the Marines guard the White House. Their loyalty is to the Commander-in-Chief. The Marine Band is known as “The President’s Own.”

Thank you all so much, that was just the kinda stuff I was lookin for. As always, the teeming millions have come thru.

:slight_smile:

Sirkle

quote: -----The President has direct control over every armed force, including the Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force, and, during war time, the Coast Guard-----

The President has direct control over the Coast Guard at all times. It’s just that the chain of command is through the Secretary of the Treasury during peace time.

I believe the President has direct control over every person in the Executive Branch, not just the military.

Yeah, right. You don’t really think the WPA is gonna stand up to scrutiny, do you? It sure worked in Bosnia, Somalia, Grenada, Panama, etc, ad infinitum :rolleyes: . You talk about unpopular, there it is. Any time Americans get sent anywhere the populace cries foul (exception: Iraq, but that was about oil, not Kuwait). The first really knock-down, drag-out fight we get into, do you really think the President is gonna let the WPA force him into tucking tail and running? Nope, can’t see that happening. He is the COMMANDER IN CHIEF. When the commander gets usurped by his advisers (read: Congress) it is called mutiny. It’s not gonna happen. The WPA was a pipe dream from the beginning and it hasn’t gotten to look any better since.

Congratulations on a fine choice. Oorah! Oorah! Not even in yet but wanting to learn history? God I love to see motivation!!

On Nov. 10, 1775 The Continental Congress commissioned Samuel Nicholas as a Captain and charged him with forming two battalions of Marines. It was felt that sailors should sail the ships, while somebody else did the fighting while knowing enough about sailing to assist the Navy while on board. So Sam, being the first commandant, went to the nearest bar, Tun Tavern, to find some boys that would be suitable and willing. He knew that then, as now, the natural habitat of Marines was a bar.

The direction of the Congress was: “That two Battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two Lieutenant Colonels, two Majors & other Officers as usual in other regiments, that they consist of an equal number of privates with other battalions; that particular care be taken that no person be appointed to office or enlisted into said Battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve to advantage by sea, when required. That they be enlisted and commissioned for and during the present war between Great Britain and the colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress. That they be distinguished by the names of the first & second battalions of American Marines, and that they be considered a part of the number, which the continental Army before Boston is ordered to consist of”.

As far as the official mission of the Corps, it was established in the National Security Act of 1947. Rather than type it all out, here is a good history site. http://home.att.net/~jtyoung/mcl969/blank.htm

You also might enjoy here. http://www.grunt.com/

Feel free to send me an email if you’d like to know more, and best of luck to you maggot. (Get used to that term) :smiley:

And you’ll need a good marines vs army joke. Here’s my favorite: search for “Army Ranger Platoon” on this page: http://www.grunt.com/oct20_2000news.htm

From the War Powers Act:

You’ll notice that of all the military actions you mentioned,

1. They did not last more than sixty days, or
  2. Congress gave tacit statutory approval, without a declaration of war, or
  3. Congress failed to act to end the military action.

Congress is most certainly not the President’s “advisors” and Congress acting in opposition to the President is not a “mutiny.”

::slight hijack::
I once worked as a contractor in the Pentagon. I met a civilian friend in the office where he worked, and since it was a naval office there were several marines. My friend introduced me to his boss, a marine major. Since it was the weekend of the Army-Navy game, and since the Army and Navy each had a band and cheerleaders walking through the building, I thought I would impress the major by saying (very enthusiastically), “Go Navy!” The major looked at me and said, very quietly, “We’re Naval Services, son.”
::end hijack, march away while saluting::

[slight hijack]

[Full Metal Jacket]
$15 dolla, me love you long time, long time!
[/Full Metal Jacket]

Anyway, You remind me of my boyfriend. He enlisted too, is getting shipped off July 2nd for parris island. He’s so excited about it. :slight_smile: When and where are you going?

[/slight hijack]

You don’t need to capitalize soldier, sailor, or airman, but you DO need to capitalize Marine. It may not seem like much. It is. Cite ChiefScott and this thread.

Sirkle Fine choice! As far as doubting yourself and hating most every moment, as JamesCarroll says, plant this little seed in your brain housing group:

Hundreds of thousands of men and women have gone before you and become Marines. 41,000 are doing it this year alone. You are no less capable and driven than they were, you are more than likely smarter. They did it, I did it, you will do it. Boot Camp can even be funny if you see it for what it is, and not a personal attack on yourself. Drill Instructors guard the front gate of the Corps, and they’ll do their damnest to make sure the recruits under their charge are prepapred mentally and physically to carry on the traditions that THEY uphold. They take it personally. You will feel an undescribable pride at your Warrior Ceremony after the Crucible, when you will be a Marine. Check back in after boot camp, so I can welcome you into the Corps.

Major UncleBill
USMCR

Fifteen dollah beau-coup money, five dollah.

Keeping in mind it’s been almost sixteen yearss since I was out of the navy and seventeen since I saw liberty in Olongapo City, Luzon.

sirkle, OOH-RAH! and good on you mate. If you need a good joke to keep the swabbies (and I was in the navy) in line, a squid is a low form of marine life. :smiley:

Hey…Good luck in the USMC.Can I give you some unsolicited advice on getting ready for boot camp?

1. at least be semi physically in shape
  2. report with your hair already semi short,crew cut.It seems the DI’s are less harsh on recruits that already have a military appearance.
  3. Bring NOTHING but the clothes on your back,shower kit,and change of clothes and underwear.You ain’t gonna need anything else and it’ll make checking in MUCH quicker.
  4. Keep your mouth shut,your ears open and remember that it is all a big mind game.Don’t take anything personal.
    Oh…I was Navy by the way.We used marines to guard our base gates and Nuke weapons.I was always impressed.They had REALLY shiny boots and belt buckles! OOOOOO!

For you thirsty jar heads (and wannabes) out there –

The Tun Tavern has been recently renovated and will be open for business in Philly this summer. The site should be restored to its 1775 appearance an will be an operating pub. The Marine Corps League was the key money raising organization heading this effort (Hell, even a trusty-crusty chief can appreciate a few leathernecks dedicating themselves to putting another watering hole on the Philadelphia map!).

The Tun is located on Front Street across I-95 from Penn’s Landing.

Oh, an it’s “Pyle” not “Pile.”

And,

Me so hawny!

Read James Bradley’s book, Flags of Our Fathers. It’s about the flagraisers on Iwo Jima. Makes you really appreciate the Marines and makes the war in Europe look like a game of dodge-ball.

William Manchester’s ‘Goodbye Darkness’ is another great read about the Pacific war.

My uncle was a Marine at Iwo Jima and Okinawa and it’s amazing to read about the hell those guys went through; and why so the Marines deserve the respect they command.

AFAIK, the USMC has never been pushed off a beach once landed (although major amphibious landings ala WWII and Korea maybe a thing of the past with helicopters and (cough) the Osprey–if that thing can work.