USPS - can I remail a returned letter?

I had an incorrectly addressed letter returned to me (the sender). Can I correct the address and put it back in the mailbox, or do I need to put it in a new envelope with new postage?

I’ve been told by my local Postmaster that so long as the envelope has not been opened, and was a Returned to Sender (RTS), you can correct the address, cross out (or remove) the RTS info, and re-mail on the same postage.

I tried it with a package and had it delivered with no issues.

But the moment the package is opened, you need to put new postage on to mail it again.


That’s also my understanding. Just make clear on the front of the letter why you’re dropping it back into the mailstream.