Vacant Land in the Bahamas

Leasing - I dunno - put an ad in a newspaper? Craigslist?
Neighbors - In the US you can see the plat book at the county courthouse - no clue how to do it in the Bahamas.

Brian

A couple of questions for the OP:

1. How desirable is the land - meaning how large is it? Are there any restrictions that would make it unbuildable? Access to utilities? Etc. That would decide who your potential buyers are.

2. In the Bahamas, how easy is it to do up the legal paperwork yourself? Here in the states for raw land most people could write up a quit claim themselves and file it with the county. I’ve even done it myself.

My thought is that surely they can’t force you to continue owning this property; there should be some formal means of relinquishing title. I would contact the jurisdiction that sends you the property tax bills, and ask them.

ETA: Looks like I was ninja’d by Saint Cad.

Who sold you the property? I’d start with him/her and discuss giving it back.

Thanks, everyone.

I inherited the property in 1980, and I don’t know the answers
to the questions you’ve raised. We paid a Bahamas probate attorney when
I inherited it, plus yearly taxes all this time.

It’s zoned for residential.

Interestingly, the realtor whose fees I mentioned emailed me to say
someone contacted him who’s interested in a cheap lot, and is willing
to pay all the fees. I said he could have the property for $500,
but I haven’t heard back. Fingers crossed!

If the sale doesn’t materialize, I will contact the jurisdiction, and hope I receive answers
I can understand. :slight_smile:

Wait? You don’t know how big the property is, where it is located or anything like that? Sounds odd.

Sounds to me like hes never actually visited it and seen the lot.

Yeah but no information whatsoever? I know Bahamian law is different than US law but my property tax bill has assessor value, size of land, legal description at least. We have a lot of Brits on this board. What info do they get in their tax bill?

As mentioned I own some vacant land in Australia and all of that stuff is available online by doing a search using the property title number. I’d suggest the OP should start here and do some additional research:

http://govnet.bs/

Cornmelt, I emailed my questions to the address you provided.
Thanks so much for that!

The assessor value is $3K. The property is located in the
Bahamas Sound Subdivision No. 4, Exuma. The size is 10,000 sq. ft.
(it’s not on the tax bill, but I found this info in my notes).

Awesome … and then some

And the google maps

Yep according to that website there is no water supply or sewage on the lot. I imagine no electricity either. And with the cost of importing food you’d need to be pretty well off to build and live in an off the grid shack there. And if you’re that well off you can afford a beachfront lot there.

You guys have done more research on it than I have! I appreciate it very much.

Evidently it’s not just sand…I must have confused it with the other property
I inherited at the same time (ten acres of California desert). :frowning:

All we need now is a lot number and a plat map and you’re set.

Surfers Camp for the Bahamas!! Solar Farm and Rockhounds Retreat for the desert!(aka gold hunting):cool: Hope the properties work out for you.

Here is an example of what you are getting as a 10,000 sq ft Bahamas Sound lot. Good luck!

nm

Thanks again, everyone!

Okay. The realtor found someone who’ll pay me $500 for it, and they’ll pay all
closing costs.

I’m gonna do it. :eek:

Astro, this is the same realtor that’s in the example you found.