Van lifer goes missing on cross country trip with fiancee

However this goes (and I hope it has a happy ending), it will be a miniseries next year.

Oh she’s dead. Left in a forest in Yellowstone. Wolves have already picked her clean. If she’d just joined the Moonies, someone would have said something.

Miniseries? I wish L&O was still on.

René Descartes and Renée Zellweger might disagree.

Mod note: This kind of misogynist remark has no place in SDMB. It’s not funny.

Yes, this is absolutely an L&O plot. L&O:SVU is still on…

Wait was it a van or an SUV?

It’s a van.

Unless a Ford Transit is actually an SUV, but I doubt it.

It’s a Ford Transit in the photo. Looks almost new. I’m surprised it’s a 2012.

I don’t understand why people don’t just break up instead of killing the other person. Maybe it’s an accident, but usually it’s: I couldn’t stand [person] so I drove to a scenic overlook and pushed [person] into a hot springs.

I have precisely zero expectation that she’s alive.

Whoosh

??

But you have a basic problem, you see. You’re rational, so you can’t think the same way many crooks would.

Maybe me, I thought SUV and SVU was meant as a jest.

oh. That makes sense. I think my brain just elided that, so I didn’t notice. Thank you for explaining.

Well, my silly little joke was silly. Virtual Vanning? Van From Home? Sorry it was lame.

As a fan of Law and Order, I find myself saying that in a lot of episodes.

Not surprisingly…

According to police, [boyfriend Brian] Laundrie has “not made himself available to be interviewed by investigators” and has “not provided any helpful details.”

“We know Brian returned here to North Port on September 1st — ten days before her family reported her missing on September 11th. We have no information that a crime occurred here in North Port [Florida],” police said.

Attorneys for the Petito and Laundrie family did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

The news comes a day after authorities in Utah said they investigated an “incident” involving the couple on Aug. 12 — about two weeks before Petito was last seen.

Boyfriend won’t cooperate with police? Yikes.

Wellll… I agree things are sketchy-sounding, but I don’t see that as a red flag on its own. The principle may be “innocent until proven guilty” but the police perspective is “assume the person’s guilty.” They’ve got that line about “anything you say can be used against you” for a reason.

Too lazy to look it up myself, but there is a great Youtube video about “never talk to the police”, with the sub-text of “especially if you are innocent”

I mean, given that he’s returned home without her, it’s absolutely in his best interest to not talk to the police. But normally if your fiancee goes missing, you’re reporting the missing person case yourself, rather than it being her family a week later. Now maybe they just parted ways, amicably or otherwise, and he did nothing wrong and just isn’t talking to the cops because that’s the smart thing to do, and she’s vanished because she wanted to drop off the grid or something untoward happened to her after he was gone. But that’s not the way I’d be betting based on the available information.