VCR in need of diagnosis

OK, I know this is probably hopeless, but you people have amazed me on more than one occasion, so I’ll try anyway.

I have an old VCR (maybe 10 years old!) that seems to be asking for retirement. When I try to play a tape in it, it’ll play just fine – for a while. But then suddenly, after a length of time that has varied from 3 minutes to about 50, it’ll just stop dead, as if someone had pushed the stop button. Once in a while it’ll even start rewinding, as if the end of the tape had been reached.

I thought the problem might be that the tape somehow isn’t feeding properly through the VCR’s roller mechanism, thereby causing the machine to stop as a kind of safety precaution or whatever. But I took off the cover and watched it run, and there didn’t seem to be any such problem. I cleaned off the rollers and other doodads inside, but the problem persists.

Any ideas? The VCR is not worth taking into a shop to have it fixed, and I have a newer one anyway; but if there’s something I can try to keep it running, I’d love to give it a try. Thanks!

Golly. :eek: I’m trying to visualize a 10 year old VCR.
Nope, sorry, can’t do it. Buy a new one. :smiley:

What does “I cleaned off the rollers and other doodads inside” mean, exactly? You ran a head-cleaning tape through it (of course), but what else did you do? Got in there with a rag or what? Vacuumed it with one of those tiny vacuums? Do you have kids? Did you check the inside of the box for things like paper clips and pennies, shoved through the slot and interfering with normal function?

Look here.
http://me.essortment.com/vcrmaintenence_rzxi.htm

Go down to the public library and see if they have either a videotape on VCR maintenance, or a book. I’m betting they’ll at least have a book.

You’re gonna spend (WAG) at least 50 bucks to get it fixed. A new one is, what, $99? Buy a new one.

P.S. In the last 10 years, they’ve improved the programming function beyond all recognition–even I can program my own VCR now. Buy a new one and step into the 21st century! :smiley:

Usually its the BIG play belt, located on the bottom after you take the metal plate off. Costs 50 cents usually, maybe more if you get it from a local shop that rips people off. I have put many of them in, its pretty easy.

I have noticed that on vcr’s and tape players, it seems that when some of them go - they go in the matter you discribe. I have always assumed that it is the end of tape stop device that is wearing out or the motor which is causing the end of tape stop device to trigger. I not sure if that’s what it is - and if it is I don’t know what to do about it.

Also Re:

Maybe a book, but a tape on how to repair a VCR? I can just see it now - you put the tape in and it says ‘if you can see and hear this you vcr is working’

sorry couldn’t resist :smiley:

“I have noticed that on vcr’s and tape players, it seems that when some of them go - they go in the
matter you discribe.”

BEcause of rubber belts. Which you can easily put in a new one, I have lots of them. VCR manf only have to make parts for a unit 7 years after its made.

Sorry, but no Gotcha for Dave this time…

But thank you for playing. :smiley:

I have a Mitsubishi VCR that is now 9 years old. Replacing it would run at least $250 to get all the features it has:
4-Head Stereo Hi-Fi
Dual Audio-out jacks
Jog/Shuttle controller
Dual line inputs
On-screen programming

Sometimes, a VCR is worth repairing. Three years ago I bought a $99 Emerson with most of the above features (minus the front line inputs). Playback quality was visibly inferior to the old Mitsu. When my former SO and I broke up last year and I moved out, I let her have the Emerson. If I ever have to buy another VCR, it will probably cost a lot more than $99.