Vegemite Is Now BANNED In America!

[QUOTE=Rayne Man]
What type of Bovril have you got? Are you aware that a couple of years ago they changed the formulation? It no longer contains beef, but is now made from yeast extract just like Marmite
[/QUOTE]

It’s the yeast-extract Bovril. For when Marmite and vegemite are just not beefy or salty enough.

I did discover a half kilo of promite, and another 125 gram jar of Marmite. So I’m safe for a while.

[QUOTE=Triskadecamus]
How long does a kilogram of this stuff last you?
[/QUOTE]

A year or so. I cook with it a lot. It makes a great addition to bean soups, roasts, spaghetti sauces, stews, chowders, and the like. And a big recipe can take a number of tablespoons. Any recipe where a beefy flavor is desired is enhanced by this stuff. Goes great in tomato soup too!

As a very last resort you might like to try Gentlemens Relish (calm down you pervy minded freaks), especially if it’s the salt hit you crave. Concentrated anchovy paste. Very, very good on toast.

[QUOTE=Rayne Man]
What type of Bovril have you got? Are you aware that a couple of years ago they changed the formulation? It no longer contains beef, but is now made from yeast extract just like Marmite
[/QUOTE]

I’m not 100% sure but I thought I read a mangetout post where he said that beef was being reintroduced into Bovril.

[QUOTE=Annie]
Perhaps we can arrange a trade- Vegemite for Aleve? Still an Rx here :mad:
[/QUOTE]

Annie, I feel your improperly-medicated pain. When I moved up here, I brought several big bottles of generic Aleve. Mmm, naproxen-y… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Vetch]
I’m not 100% sure but I thought I read a mangetout post where he said that beef was being reintroduced into Bovril.
[/QUOTE]

I hope so. The beef version make a much better drink.

[QUOTE=Qadgop the Mercotan]
NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I’ve only got about a kilo left in the big bucket!

What about marmite? Marmite’s okay, isn’t ? Tell me it’s okay! For Og’s sake, tell me marmite is okay???
[/QUOTE]

Qadgop, if you get caught smuggling a large amount of vegemite, marmite, and bovril, are you aware you could be charged with intent to sell? Do you really want to be up close and personal with your patients 24-7? Would you set up a vegemite smuggling ring in prison? :smiley:

[QUOTE=SkipMagic]
How long does that stuff last?
[/QUOTE]

I think its half-life is in the millions of years.

You could make dirty bombs with the stuff.

[QUOTE=elfbabe]
Annie, I feel your improperly-medicated pain. When I moved up here, I brought several big bottles of generic Aleve. Mmm, naproxen-y… :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

It’s the only thing that works for my old lady ailments like sciatica. I’ve started giving it away as birthday presents.

*We’re unhappy little Vegemites
More sad than we can say
Because our lovely Vegemite’s
Been banned in the USA

Our mummies cannot buy enough
For breakfast and for tea
And now we miss our Vegemite
We really miss our Vegemite
Piss on the FDA!
Piss on the FDA!*

Cameron’s still has Marmite. All is not lost.

Heck, I was just in the local Von’s supermarket and found stacks (well, a stack) of Vegemite. Small jars, to be sure. But it was there.

Banning Vegemite? That’s just inhuman.

Of course, the irony is that for decades, it’s been made by an American company…

There might be something in the “need to be brought up on it” thing. It’s a real comfort food for me. Australian mothers are known to smear a little on rusks to give to teething babies - so yeay, they get us early.

As someone who doesn’t drink beer and doesn’t like Vegemite, i occasionally get asked whether i’m a real Australian.

I’d blame it on my Canadian birth, but the Canadians like their beer too, so i guess it’s just a personal deficiency.

I did used to love Bovril as a kid, but had to give it up when i became a vegetarian. I meant to try the newer, beef-free variety, but now it looks like i’m too late.

[QUOTE=Duckster]
I bet the real reason for the ban has something to do with terrorism.

:smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Vegemite kind of is a form of terrorism. A weapon of mouth destruction? A horrible form of a salt?

I’ve never tasted any yeast-type products, but is Tartex paste anything like Vegemite? Also, do any of them contain living yeast cultures? I’ve read that in Europe, certain strains of live yeast (like the one in Florastor) are commonly given to help with diarrhea and bowel functions.

Suffer, suffer all you Aussie expats! HAH!

No Vegemite? Boo-freakin’-hoo. Cry me a river! (We could use the water anyway.)

Shall I begin to list the things I miss from the US that are banned here? Is there a size of post limit? Bah!

No longer shall I dread the smell of my (Australian) husband’s toast in the morning as he spreads it with fetid, rotted yeast, no…NO…I shall rejoice, knowing that hundreds of expat Aussies are denied this simple pleasure, as I have been so long denied Big Red Gum (er…until Wrigley changed the formula for Australia, but I still gotta look for it), Jimmy Dean Sausage, montery jack cheese and Cheez Whiz! HAH! HAH! HAH!!!

Er…but QtM, since you are not expat, you have my sympathies. If the dry spell continues, I’m home in 2007 and up for a smuggling job. :wink:

Cheers,
G

[QUOTE=Loopydude]
Vegemite kind of is a form of terrorism. A weapon of mouth destruction?
[/QUOTE]

Oh, that’s very good Loopydude. May I store that one away in my memory banks and bring it out as necessary (and, of course, claim the witticism as my own)?

:smiley:

[QUOTE=irishgirl]
…it is the only thing for hot buttered soldiers…
[/QUOTE]
This is just scary. Descriptions of vegemite have been frightening enough, but if we’re going to start including kinky sex…

[QUOTE=Vagus]
Tim Tams
[/QUOTE]

Togeter with Violet Ripples and Milo powder, I think that makes up the sweet end of the Aussie diet. What else is up at the savoury end, other than Vegemite?