Vegetarian Dopers

Some people define “vegetarian” as “eats only plant matter.” They don’t seem to understand the vital role fungi play in our diets, but at any rate by their standard you’re not vegetarian, since you eat things that are not vegetable in nature. (They define “vegan” as not using any animal product–no leather etc.)

Vegetarian is a word used in a lot of different ways. Diet is a continuum, not an either-or situation.

where is the “vegan roommate” option? :slight_smile:

As an omnivore, I do find it weird, too. I had never heard the term “pollotarian” before this thread. I can sort of understand how fish and seafood get lopped in the “non-meat” category, but chicken? That stretching the definition of vegetarian quite a bit to include chicken eating. (I would argue eating fish, too, stretches vegetarianism past the breaking point.)

As an omnivore, I do find it weird, too. I had never heard the term “pollotarian” before this thread. I can sort of understand how fish and seafood get lopped in the “non-meat” category, but chicken? That’s stretching the definition of vegetarian quite a bit to include chicken eating. (I would argue eating fish, too, stretches vegetarianism past the breaking point.)

For a while as a teen, my sister went through a phase where she wouldn’t eat anything where the food had the same name as the animal. So she was fine with beef and pork, but wouldn’t eat chicken, turkey, or fish. Yeah, she knew where it all came from, of course, but she didn’t like to be reminded of it.

I’ve met a number of people who believed they were vegetarian because they didn’t eat “red” meat - beef, pork, lamb, etc. So somehow they were convinced “white” meats - chicken and fish - didn’t count as meat.

Never made sense to me, but then, many other stuff about people has never made sense to me, either.

I make an exception for bacon, and sometimes I’m just not in the mood to pick the chicken out of my Trader Joe’s salad, other than that no meat at all.

So I guess that makes me a not very good vegetarian?

I would be interested in how the blanka-tarian population here breaks down in sociological or cultural means and terms. You know hipster-tarian. i would ask the respondants to qualify themselves in cultural terms very honestly… Are they white, tattoed, pierced, and musical or artistic? College graduates? Where do they live? How much do they make? Religious reasons or just a matter of conscience (although the two might be inseperable)?

Also, I agree that a “pollotarian” or “pescatarian” shouldn’t be on any vegetarian poll.

I’d agree that eating chicken means that you are no type of vegetarian. I eat fish and seafood, but no meat per se. If I get into any type of conversation about it I always clarify by saying simply, ‘I eat fish, but no meat’ which is enough to explain. However, if I’m called upon to give a one-word classification, I do use ‘vegetarian’ (or ‘pescatarian’ if it’s an option) because it just makes life easier. I’m thinking of examples like menu choices on planes or even in restaurants - it’s easier to say you’re vegetarian and then you don’t have to go trawling through ingredients lists and so on.

ETA: I should say that strictly speaking I don’t consider myself to be a vegetarian, as I eat and enjoy fish and have no intention of giving it up, and I’m totally comfortable with that.

Growing up catholic and not being able to eat meat on Fridays we always had fish, as do a lot of catholics I believe. So I grew up somehow thinking that fish wasn’t meat which is how I think a lot of people come to think that vegetarians eat fish.

Lacto-ovo vegetarian. White, female, upper middle class, inner suburbs, late 30s, highly educated, no ink or piercings.

I only eat certified humane meat and chicken, but no fish, clams, scallops, dairy, cheese, etc.
You could call me vegan (and that’s how I explain my diet to people initially) but it’s not technically true as I do eat meat occasionally.

I have to agree with the people who are saying if you eat fish or fowl you aren’t a vegetarian. I am very strict about not eating land animals or their byproducts (broth, lard, etc.) but I do eat fish about once a month at the most. Therefore, I don’t call myself a vegetarian (or a pescetarian). When asked, I just say I don’t eat any land animals or I don’t eat anything with a face unless that face dwells underwater.

I certainly don’t have a problem with pescatarians describing themselves as vegetarian, for purposes of planning a menu or the like. “I’m a pescatarian” will mostly just get you blank stares. But saying “I’m a vegetarian” will ensure that there will be something available that you’ll eat. And besides, in my experience, most pescatarians will eat fish only occasionally: Most of their meals will be the same things that vegetarians would eat.

I’m a chocolatarian myself. Dark, milk, white, with nuts, with fruit – as long as it’s chocolate I’m happy.

I’ve also never heard the term “pollotarian” before, and I am one. I would never describe myself that way because I wouldn’t expect anyone to know what I meant. In casual conversation I usually say I’m “half vegetarian” or even “pretend vegetarian”.

In the past I have occasionally referred to myself as a vegetarian to save time. I know I’ll be able to eat a vegetarian dish, I don’t feel like discussing my specific diet, and most people aren’t going to be interested. Those who do care to discuss the subject always seem to be jerks who somehow think they know better than I do what I will or won’t eat, and try to convince me that e.g. pork is actually a part of my diet.

Anyway, because I know some real vegetarians are bothered by others using the term quite loosely I now ask instead if the food is vegetarian rather than claiming that I am vegetarian.

ditto.

I love meat. All forms.

Unfortunately, I’ve been having a variety of health issues and have switched to an almost vegan diet. Still have a little cheese for flavor (I checked “lacto vegetarian”), and once or twice a week eat some meat.

Sounds like that Calvin and Hobbes strip where Calvin’s mom served him a vegetarian meal. “Ugh! I’m not a vegetarian! I’m a dessertitarian!”