Vegetarian White Chili Recipes, Please!

Hit me with your best shot! I’m in charge of the soup for xmas eve and would like to make an outofthisworld white chili! Vegetarian, that is…

I’m thinking:
veggie broth
white northern beans
grilled tofu or veggie crumbles
tomatoes
spiced to taste…

…and?

I meant potatoes, not tomatoes…

I’m thinking white onions and garlic would be good additions.

I’d prefer TVP or Morningstar Farms soy crumbles in this application to grilled tofu, which won’t have the right texture in a chili. TVP would be lighter in color - Morningstar Farms soy crumbles is colored like cooked hamburger. Maybe there would be an alternate kind that is lighter?

For TVP, if you’re not familiar with it, the easiest to find is usually the Bob’s Red Mill kind and is either in the organic/health food section, or I’ve also found it in with the flour and dry goods.

I would get serious about the addition of some spicy, possibly roasted or dried, chili peppers. I don’t think this is the time to rely on just powdered seasoning. Definitely onion and garlic, too. Non-veg white chili usually contains chicken or turkey, sometimes ground but I usually use shredded. So you might want to go with some of the more elaborately engineered fake chicken to get the color and texture right.

Thank you both! I totally agree! For me, the more garlic the better! I will go with the veggie crumbles. What do you think of potatoes, as well?

I just got an awesome (and super easy) White Chicken Chili recipe that could easily be made vegetarian:

One 48-oz. jar great northern beans (with liquid)
2 c. salsa (I used a jar of Newman’s Own)
2 c. chicken broth (I used a 14.5-oz. can)
12 oz. diced chicken breast

Dump in a pot and simmer for 1 hour. Sprinkle some cheese of your choice on top and eat.

I was thinking you could omit the chicken and just add some veggies, or I suppose the fake meat of your choice.

It’s not particularly white, but it’s delish! And low-calorie too.

My favourite white chili recipe is from Half-Assed Vegetarian. I’ve made it a number of times with great success. In fact, on the drive home, I was thinking about how perfect it would be for what is a very snowy night in Alberta.

White Not-Turkey Chili
serves 6.

1 large onion, diced
olive oil
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbs cumin
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp pepper
12 oz soy veggie protein crumbles (such as Lightlife “Smart Ground”)
1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
2 4oz cans diced green chilies
4 cans of white (Great Northern) beans (set 2 of the cans aside)
3 cups chicken-flavoured vegetable broth (set 1 cup aside)
2 cups shredded cheddar (see *)
optional:
sour cream
crushed tortilla chips

Sauté onion in olive oil until tender. Add spices and fry for about a minute, stirring constantly. Add veggie crumbles and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes. Add green chilies. Stir and let simmer for 2 minutes.

Drain 2 cans of beans and add them to the pot. Purée the other 2 **(undrained) **cans with a stick blender or food processor separately. Add 2 cups of broth and bring to a simmer. Add puréed beans and remaining cup of broth. Simmer gently for 10 minutes. Either add all the cheese here, or top each bowl with it individually (*I add about ¾ of a cup to the soup, and then just sprinkle the individual bowls with a tablespoon or two).

Serve with sour cream and crushed tortillas. This recipe freezes well.

I believe we have a winner! Many thanks, Spoike…sounds great!