Veracity of Ghost Claims on the Travel Channel

I think I’ve shared this before - some years back, I worked in the Aerospace Engineering office aboard NAS Jacksonville, FL. The building had been the original chow hall when the base was commissioned during WWII.

For one project, I was the engineer on call at night, so I was alone in this drafty old building, at my desk working away. Suddenly, I smelled cinnamon! I walked the entire place, sniffing, going into all the office areas, finding nothing. But back at my desk, every once in a while, I caught a whiff, and no, I hadn’t brought cinnamon rolls with me. Gotta say, it was freaking me out a bit.

Then I opened the top, center drawer to get something out, and there in the tray, I saw it!!! A pack of Trident cinnamon gum. No, I don’t believe in spooks and I certainly didn’t think I was being haunted by bakers from the mid-40s, but in a dark, empty office, all alone on night shift, the mind can go strange places. I can imagine someone more gullible completely losing it in a similar situation.

But I don’t watch any of those ghost shows - the commercials alone cause me to hurt my eyes with severe rolling.

That is idiotic. The only real way to talk to ghosts is with facilitated communication. You put your fingers down on a keyboard and then the ghosts put their fingers on top of yours and guide them to the right keys.

That’s fantastic! How great is it that he had Data cheering him up by making fun of Shatner for being bald, and Lt. Worf offering to kick Shatner’s ass for being nasty to a teenage kid? I wish I had friends like that when I was a teenager! :smiley:

(edit) And I see in the comments that Brent Spiner was a jerk to someone’s 3yo daughter. :frowning: I guess it’s true that you should never meet your heroes.

Are you me?

To be fair, I have to admit I did experience an unexplainable paranormal event many year ago that I related back in another thread:

As for ghost shows, I watch them once in a while because they’re just so earnest about it. I’ve known people who are ghost hunters and they aren’t any crazier than people who are really devoted to their hobbies. I can’t imagine wandering around a cemetary or abandoned building, but I wouldn’t pay hundreds of dollars for a comic book or cookie jar either. They think I’m crazy for paying $35 for a tiny ball of yarn made from yak hair.

I like a good spooky story once in a while, and it’s nice to think that the dead aren’t really gone and there’s something out there watching out for us.

But if someone ever did have real proof of ghosts or communication from the dead, that would be on the national news instead of History Channel.

P.S. One UFO book I know of recycled a story of a UFO sighting from a novel - a novel still in copyright. Oops.

If you specifically remember “Police and the Purple Blob”, and obsess over what it was, then possibly so!

Better call Frank Edwards! “Psychically-connected strangers share a mind.” Just don’t go and die, okay?

These TV shows have so well conditioned me for disappointment, that I doubt I’d even read that story no matter how reputable the news outlet. Any fascination I once had for ghosts, UFOs, and Bigfoot has been thoroughly stamped out by decades of mind numbingly boring shows on cable TV.

Too complicated. Couldn’t you accomplish the same by simply taking the battery out?

Another blog story…

If you did that you couldn’t tell the difference between when it’s not working and when there’s no ghost.

All I know is they often haul out the ol’ TriField. They had one at Skinwalker Ranch. Apparently spirits alter the fields around them.

I don’t watch the ghost shows but I did happen to catch part of one a few years ago. Their thermal imaging camera caught a guy walking past an open door at the end of a large room in a locked building. All kinds of theories were thrown in the ring. At the end of the show they mentioned almost in an aside that it turned out to be someone working late.

Article on evaluating ghost claims:

https://skepticalinquirer.org/2010/11/ghost-hunting-mistakes/

The Skeptical Inquirer is a fount of ghost-debunking/buzzkill stories, especially investigations by Joe Nickell (also well known for dousing spontaneous human combustion claims).

most of those shows on the tv channel are reruns from other places that ran on destination America …

Hopefully, now travel is becoming a thing they’ll fade away

You’re just not looking at the right item:

That’s preposterous

BOO!

Is that you John Wayne?

I loved those Frank Edwards books! At about the same age of 12 or so. Short stories of only a couple pages that were well written and seemed to be researched. Pre-Internet how would you research and debunk them?

Also consider the source.

There’s a demand for a show about ghosts, so it gets commissioned. But what are they going to do? Show 30+ mins of guys just standing around in a creepy, but inanimate, old house? No, they have to show something, and in this context I don’t think they’d even consider editing interviews (e.g. to cut out the parts where people mention that they were initially asleep) or edit out other observations that go against the narrative to even be dishonest.
And there is no guarantee that they are even trying to do an honest show, and not merely writing fiction.

So, for a start, I would want to see these claims being made in another context (e.g. doctor report of pregnancy disappearing + reappearing) and / or see the full uncut edit before I would even consider there to be anything worthy of discussing.