Verizon wants to raise rates 75%

I just heard on the morning news that Verizon wants to raise rates 75%. Why? Because people are giving up their landlines and switching to mobile phones instead, and the company is losing money. I guess the conversation went like this:

*Verizon Executive 1: People are switching to mobile phones instead of using us!

Verizon Executive 2: Huh? Why?

VE1: They say our rates are too high, and they’re using their free minutes that they get on their mobiles. They’re leaving us in droves!

VE2: Good lord! We’d better raise our rates to make up the shortfall!

VE1: Brilliant!*

Hm. Verizon is losing business because people find their rates too high, so they’re going to raise rates? Yeah, that sounds like a grand idea! :dubious:

I was shocked – shocked! – by my phone bill last month. Thirty-eight cents a minute for a daytime long-distance call, and 25 cents/minute for a nighttime long-distance call. When I was in L.A. it was 10 cents/minute through whoever I had there. Of course I use my mobile phone with its unlimited free weekend minutes to make my long-distance calls! The only reason I have a landline now is because I have a dial-up internet connection and I don’t want to give up my website.

I asked for opinions of less-expensive long-distance companies in another thread, and chose the one that advertises 2.75 cents/minute (Enhanced Communications Group). I still need to confirm it is active, and cancel Verizon long-distance. (I signed up about a week or so ago, but I still make my calls on weekends so I’ve still been using the mobile phone.)

So; good move, Verizon! Your rates are too high and you’re losing customers because of it? Raise your rates! Brilliant business decision! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nyeh. I understand your frustration but all your seeing is the reaction of a firm on the wrong side of history. Give it another 10 years or so and we’ll be recycling a lot of that copper in the old phone lines as it’ll be an obsolete technology.

Tell that to my DSL connection.

I’d love to give up my landline and just use a mobile (which I don’t have), but I have a terrific, fast DSL connection, and I don’t want to pay for two phone services.

Two words: Wireless Broadband. Could be accessable in 10 years.

The OP confused me at first - I only know of Verizon as a cellular service provider and didn’t realize they did anything with landlines.

Ferret Herder, that’s because Verizon is one of those new-fangled made-up company names. It is the result of the merger of three of the Baby Bells (Bell Atlantic, GTE, and NYNEX), making it the largest local service provider in the U.S.

Johnny - I don’t know what plans Verizon offers in WA, but here in MD they’ve got an unlimited calling plan for $49.95 a month, covering the entire USA. With all the assorted taxes and fees, my monthly bill runs about $65 a month, every month. And that’s what it was on a ‘good’ month before we switched.

Ah hah, that makes sense. Around here the equivalent is SBC (which bought up the previous “local” phone company, Ameritech), which also owns Cingular.

I just recently gave up my land line and moved to a mobile phone and to cable internet.

Man, text messaging is the coolest thing ever. It’s like a little portable e-mail.

Almost but not quite the case. GTE was never a Baby Bell. It was one of the few independent competitors, and one of the reasons Bell Atlantic bought it was because it had long distance infrastructure and wasn’t bound by the strictures of the Modified Final Judgement. To get the merger approved by the FCC, though, Bell Atlantic had to agree to open its local markets to competition. They agreed, but I don’t think there’s been any viable competition.

A friend of mine once remarked that they got the new name by melding the words ‘horizon’ and ‘verity’, producing a name that means ‘far from the truth’. Too true.

I got a cellphone through my company plan a few years ago which averages about $30.00 a month. One day shortly thereafter I looked at my landline bill (which was about $50.00 a month) and considered that all the people who would want/need to reach me had my cellphone, and all the people I didn’t want to reach me (read: telemarketers) had my landline number.

Cancelling my landline was an easy decision.

My landline bill is only about $30 a month. I don’t find cell phones worth the switch.

Morgyn, thanks for the clarification. I knew I’d mess that up working from memory.

Please understand that Verizon Wireless and Verizon Communications are two totally different companies. Verizon Corp has vested interests in Verizon Wireless but it is not the same company.

:slight_smile:

38¢ a minute? That is freaking insane and given the current state of the phone industry I’d say it’s close to theft. If anybody is paying more than 7¢/minute they are paying too much. Where exactly do you live? There has to be another service provider that doesn’t want to screw their customers.

Perhaps Verizon could help clear things up by sending little notices with their (inflated) bills:

Dear customer:

Are you stupid or something? Why the hell do you still use us? In this age of cell phones anyone still using ourservices must be a freaking moron. Enjoy the new rates, sucka!

My wife and I have been discussing this. How’s it working out for you?

Interestingly, other companies do this. Even more interestingly, government does this. Here’s the situation:

-Reasonably bad drought hits Colorado for past five years
-In order to save dwindling reservoirs, and allow enough water for farmers to water crops, Denver Water Board urges customers to conserve
-Denver Water Board enacts regulations to allow lawn watering twice per week, no new lawns, no water at restaurants except upon request, etc. as a way of reducing water consumption
-People follow through, use less water! Conservation at work!
-Denver Water Board finds its revenues decreasing because of decreased water usage
-Denver Water board raises water rates

So, less demand, greater supply equals higher prices. Uh…OK. :smack:

Beautifully, actually. I have a cell phone for me and one for my wife. We don’t even have cable TV, just cable internet. All-in-all we end up paying about $20-30 more a month than we did with a land line and dial-up, but the convience is much greater. We each always carry our phone, so we can be in instant touch, if needed.

You should check that you have strong service at your home and work before you commit to a carrier. We’re lucky and get 5 bars (highest reception) at both.

Even my mom has sent me text messages :slight_smile:

Just to clarify the rate situation: All of the major phone companies now have calling plans that allow you to make calls at rates around 3-5 cents a minute for a monthly fee. However, for their customers who don’t pay enough attention to actually select a calling plan, they have been steadily increasing the rates to upwards of 35 cents a minute. I know this because I was one of those people who just ignored all of the commercials and telemarketers without realizing that my rates were going through the roof. Then one month I got a truly astounding telephone bill, did some quick calculations, and realized that I was paying 35 cents a minute for long distance. I called my phone company (SBC), and they were happy to put me on a calling plan. So don’t just assume that you’re getting the best deal from your phone company unless you ask for it.